Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-27-2014, 03:01 AM

Default Annealing 221 / 20VT brass

Hello all. How long do you guys anneal those cases for? I ask that cos its a short case and I am afraid of end up annealing the case heads. I dont want to use Tempilaq, just a short answer form you is sufficient.
Cheers
Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 AM

Default Annealing 221/20VT

I go for a count of four. (one thousand one, etc.) works for me. Bill K
Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Supporting Member

Max flame on the blue cone, in a hand drill slow speed, about six seconds.

Adam
Old 05-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Depends on your flame temperature. The hotter the flame & the quicker the brass gets to temp the better. I don't time it. I do it in a nearly dark room & heat to the instant I see a slight orange in the neck.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
Depends on your flame temperature. The hotter the flame & the quicker the brass gets to temp the better. I don't time it. I do it in a nearly dark room & heat to the instant I see a slight orange in the neck.
Also it depends on turning speed, if you run the drill as fast as it can go it'll take longer. Old Hawkeyes method is the one I stick to, but after a few ten thousand cases the little VarTarg won't take more than seven seconds when using the method I stated. The main thing, as soon as you see the color change pull it. No need for water bath unless it makes you more comfortable.

Adam
Old 05-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Supporting Member

One thing I've done is switched to "Map Gas". Hotter flame and less time needed to bring the brass up to temp. Less chance of the heat traveling down to the case head. Maybe a 4 or five count usually gets the job done.
I use a rechargable drill motor and slow speed and a deep socket stuffed with steel wool to keep the brass at the level I'am after. No water dump after. Just don't be in a hurry to pick up the cases.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 05-29-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:03 PM

Default MAP gas burners?

What type of flame "heads" do you use. Had a terrible time with mine using propane.

BTW lived for a short time in Sebastopol about half way to where you are.

Chuck
Old 05-28-2014, 01:33 AM

Thank you guys. What I have home is the Bernzomatic propane torch. Cheers
Old 05-28-2014, 01:53 PM

Ive use a variaty of gases and its all guess work as to how long a full bottle or an almost empty bottle closesr to the flame or further away????
I have a 1/4" drive screwdriver in which i put a very small allen screw driver i stick it up the flash hole and hold it in the flame (just the neck on formed cases but shoulder as well if cases have yet to be fireformed) turning it slowly untill i see a colour change then stick a screwdriver in the neck to remove the smaller holder and put the case base down on a thick metal plate. I have only had 3 split necks in all the rounds i have annealed since i started.
You dont need water its the heating that anneals not the cooling.
Lots of people dont anneal sometimes as many re-loading as 20 from the same case without splits but just do an experiment yourself.
mix up 10 cases 5 of which you have just annealed and 5 of which have had 5 or more re=loads and load the bullet in them and i bet you a pound to a penny you will know exactly which are the softer annealed cases and the harder many tiomes fired cases. its comon sence that a case that hold the bullet tighter cause its hardened will give a different pressure and so velocity than a softer and annealed case.
This is not for case life thou it does help its for consistancy of re-loads any production of the shelf round wiil be annealed the same as every round in that box or batch so thats the standered you are looking for.
Bet i get a few negative comments from this but thats what makes this site the best on the net everybody has slightly different idea,s and we share them.
Wally

Tags
20vt, annealing, benchrest, fireball, vartarg