Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-23-2018, 07:21 PM

Default Georges new knee.

Here is hoping for a fast and full recovery and better things ahead George. And good advice on the hard drugs, pass on all. Plain old OTC's can get you through and not get you hooked or worse. Did like Rick said, when I had back surgery, pass on those drugs the doc's try to give you. Speedy recovery wished. Bill K
Old 10-23-2018, 07:51 PM

Yup, opioids are bad stuff. Did a partial knee replacement last year, and got off them within a week, then it was Tylenol after that. A partial is a lot easier than a full knee replacement. My other knee, was a full replacement, in 2001. That knee hurt less immediately the operation hurt less than the pain before. Had one of the ice machine both times. Work great.

Regarding opioids, back in 2014, I had a convergent maze procedure, think like an internal and external heart ablation. Still have the Afib. The anesthesiologist put me on fentanyl, which is like 100x morphine. Scrambled my brain for three days afterwards, full aphasia. Scared the hell out me and my wife. I will never let them use it again, ever.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
George, Use plenty of ice to help alleviate pain. I had knee replaced two years ago. They sent me home with an "ice machine". It was a reservoir where one mixed water and ice that was circulated thru a wrap that was applied around the knee. It stayed cold for 3 or 4 hours. Attached link illustrates the type of unit (could not find a link to the specific unit I was supplied).

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...iABEgJFDPD_BwE

PS: Do not exceed max daily Tylenol dosage. Tough on the liver.
I used one of these machines for the 12 hour drive home from the hospital.
It sure helped me, but my wife said it was the most horrible drive she's ever had. Oh well.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:41 AM

Received this from Jack this morning.

George was going to be cut loose today, physical therapy person thought he could be, but doc said too much swelling in the knee and ordered ultra-sound, and George, of course, had to try to talk up the nurse (56, good looking Texan). Doc said he will be kept until at least tomorrow and they are hunting up an ice machine to cool the knee down. Will keep you guys up on what's happening. Jack

George said he couldn't stand on the leg, as of this morning.

He must be feeling OK if he is chatting up the nurses
Pete
Old 10-25-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter223 View Post
[b]Received this from Jack this morning.[/B

George said he couldn't stand on the leg, as of this morning.

He must be feeling OK if he is chatting up the nurses
Pete
Na, think you got it wrong there, Pete.
Chatting up the nurse would override any physical or pain problems George might have.
Hope he’s soon home. Jack’s planning on staying around for a bit before heading back to MD. so that will be big help.
Ken.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:36 PM

Thirty years ago , Knees lasted about 5-8 Years , so Surgeons were reluctant to do full Knee replacements except for Seniors . My Mothers lasted 6 Years ., and she said the replacement was just as painful as the original . Now the Stainless Knees last 25-30 Years per my Surgeon , and I have talked to folks in their 30's and 40's that get them . The latest Ceramic Hips have a projected Life of about 80 Years or so I'm told , but are super expensive and usually only given to young folks . Here's a few things I learned after having both Knees replaced . The Rehab. is worse than the Operation . Take a pain pill of your choice about an hour before Physical Therapy ...it will help . Do all the Exercises the Therapist suggests while at home . Don't try to kneel down . I still can't do it years after , unless I put down inches of Foam or something really soft and thick . YMMV . Walk as much as possible . I try to get off the strong Pain Meds as soon as possible , but they have their place . Earlier this year I had a bad accident and broke a few Bones . Darn Hospital fouled up when I was transferred to a Rehab Center and all I got for Pain was Tylenol for about 4 or 5 days . When they finally gave me the strong stuff , I did not need it and stopped . Almost forgot .....Knee Pain goes away , but my Surgeon said periodic muscle stiffness ( often tied into the weather) is another story .
Old 10-25-2018, 06:42 PM

xring, I pretty much agree all that you said. My left knee was in 2001 and it is still going strong. It is not stainless steel, but the femur end is cobalt alloy and the tibia end is titanium alloy. Had a partial knee done on the right knee in 2017, and it is titanium alloy. All the prostheses designs and materials have gotten much better since the 1970's and 1980's. I agree, don't kneel for anything, especially for any length of time. Do rehab and proper PT exercises religiously
Old 10-25-2018, 07:41 PM

Hi Rick , hope you are still getting to the Shooting Range . I missed all Summer due to my accident . My Surgeon ran a big Group of Orthopedic Surgeons in my area and I have had a lot of interesting Health discussions with him . One Question I asked was what is his History with Titanium and Stainless Knees . He said they used S.S. , then went to Titanium some years ago . Then they found the Titanium goes into the Blood Stream after years of insertion and caused some problems ( can't remember the details ) , so they went back to S.S. . I guess if I were young I would want S.S.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:50 PM

Frank, I have a bit of interest in the metallurgy of protheses, but I have not kept up on the latest. I would ask which brands and types/models of knees the doctors in your area are being used today. The two biggest makers are Zimmer and DePuy, as I recall. SS is used a lot on spine repair protheses, but I am pretty sure the specific alloys that are more corrosion resistant than chosen for strength.

I'm still fighting Afib, and they haven't found anything new that might work. Haven't fired a rifle in two years, but have shot pistols a few times.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:26 PM

Rick , I'm sending you a PM . Mine are DePuy . When I got the first Knee done , they gave me an ID Card to use when I set off the Metal Detectors in Government Buildings . It did not do much good as I still had to show the Scars to the Guards to gain entrance !