Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-09-2018, 10:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default your first 22 lr.

They say you never forget your first, My first was a Ithaca model 49 falling block lever gun. for 2 years my brothers and I wasted more ammo,trying to hit anything with it was an exercise in futility.
the only time the rifle was of any use was in a deep snow storm where the rabbits couldn't get away from you. had to be almost point blank range to hit them.
we told my dad how bad the rifle sucked but he ignored us, until my brother came home from the Air Force (1962) and shot it. he told my dad what a POS it was. dear dad locked it in a vice with 2 wood blocks and fired it into a 2x4 at 10 feet. the rifle shot a 4" group.
he took it back where he bought it and they sent it back to Ithaca. when the rifle came back you could shoot the eye out of a hawk at 100 yards flying with the sun in your eyes.

that is when my quest for accuracy began and continues to this day.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:43 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Ruger 10/22 it loved the Remington yellow jackets! Put a weaver 4x on it killed truck loads of squirrels with it
Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
when the rifle came back you could shoot the eye out of a hawk at 100 yards flying with the sun in your eyes.
You forgot to add the oblilgatory "all day long".

drover
Old 11-09-2018, 11:05 PM

My dad took my brother and me to a little gun store filled to the rafters to pick out our very own 22’s. My brother picked a little single shot lever action and I chose a bolt action. They were both $25 and by the time we earned the money mine was sold. I looked through quite a few new ones and it came down to a choice between a Rem. 552 and a Nylon 66. Seeing that I was just 12 I really liked the Nylon 66 and after paying $60 it was mine. Sold it to a friend years later and am still mad at myself. Dave
Old 11-10-2018, 12:11 AM
Supporting Member

My father gave me his pre-war Remington 511P with the factory peep sight. Put on a Lyman micrometer peep and still have the rifle.

Kids up the block were AF brats; their father was being sent to Ethiopia and bought them Marlin 39a rifles. Boy was I impressed.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:25 AM
Supporting Member

In the early 50's I worked for a local farmer making .25 an hr. I bought myself a Win Mod 61, my first gun. I still have it.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:49 AM

Remington 550 was the family rifle that I grew up with, learned to shoot with, iron sights in those days as the eyes were fine then.

Shorts, longs, long rifles.............did not matter. Most of the time it got shorts, were cheaper then; remember old rockets in the chicklet type box?. I still have it to include the often lost shield over the ejection port. Has a B4 Weaver on it, drilled and tapped for the N mount, done in Enid, Oklahoma back then.

Last edited by rick w.; 11-10-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:50 AM
Banned

That's cool Ray! The win 61 is one I'd like to have!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:08 AM

I’m still chuckling about the 4” group at 10’.

That’s a good story!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Ahhh, that first rifle!! What a kids first major goal used to be, still should.

I was 9, Mom took me to Western Auto store and bought a Stevens M-86C bolt.
Locked it up til Christmas several months later. They paid $45 for it. I still have it. Still shoots tight groups as long as the pos feeder spring works right. At times it would try to double feed and jams up in the tube.

The great thing was an uncle that claimed he'd helped kill off the passenger pigeons around these parts would by a carton of LR's and every Sat he'd take me to the hills shooting til they were all shot up. That went on every weekend for several years as long as the weather was decent and he'd gotten a 1/2 gal of rot gut wine. Shell's were $5.25/500. His wine was a buck.
Gas was a quarter or less. He died at 70, ruined liver in 1973. He was the first baby born at Blende Co. Blende Meeks.

Great combination!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"