Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-14-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
I used to be on the book of faces and early on enjoyed seeing what friends and family far and wide were up to. Enjoyed seeing their photos, family trips etc. I was also on a truck camper group for the brand of truck camper I have and really enjoyed learning from other people using the same camper.

A year ago I got off of it and deleted my account. It just got too negative for me and there is enough negativity in our world as it is without being exposed to it on that social network.

That being said, for those of you who don't think this forum, and any other forum you might be on is not a social network? Anything on the computer today designed to get people to interact is a social network. This one just happens to have a very specific audience interested in the shooting sports.

I am not naive enough to believe that this site is not visible to anyone who wants to take the initiative to monitor activity or gather the information we may post. I was taught early on to never post anything online that you would not want to see on the front page of your home town newspaper. One very big difference (in my opinion) is that this site and many other similar sites don't exist simply to sell your information to the highest bidder.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 01-14-2021, 05:22 PM

Just found out Zuck owns/controls "What's Ap", so I uninstalled it from my phone. I used it twice, to talk to friends in the South of BC.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:19 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I used to be on the book of faces and early on enjoyed seeing what friends and family far and wide were up to. Enjoyed seeing their photos, family trips etc. I was also on a truck camper group for the brand of truck camper I have and really enjoyed learning from other people using the same camper.

A year ago I got off of it and deleted my account. It just got too negative for me and there is enough negativity in our world as it is without being exposed to it on that social network.

That being said, for those of you who don't think this forum, and any other forum you might be on is not a social network? Anything on the computer today designed to get people to interact is a social network. This one just happens to have a very specific audience interested in the shooting sports.

I for one know, and I'm sure anyone else who never graced the pages of FB forwhatever reasons, all realize that Saubier and FB are both internet social media platforms. However, with just a bit of critical thinking and observation, it becomes very obvious very quickly that not all social media sites in the internet are created equally. Some are worth being a member of since 1999 (Saubier) based on content and people involved. Some aren't worth a second look, ....... (FB comes to mind, and I saw that 10+ years ago after several quick looks at FB).

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 01-15-2021 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:36 AM

Spot on BCB.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:51 PM
Supporting Member

Default Saubier

At the top of my screen it states not secure.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:09 PM

Absolutely, BCB. They are not all created equal and that is why I spend quite a bit of time here, with like minded people sharing some of the same passions.

My only point was that with any forum we are on, I am convinced the algorythms behind the scenes are capturing every move made. How that information is used I am sure is even well beyond what I am aware of today.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:22 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Absolutely, BCB. They are not all created equal and that is why I spend quite a bit of time here, with like minded people sharing some of the same passions.

My only point was that with any forum we are on, I am convinced the algorythms behind the scenes are capturing every move made. How that information is used I am sure is even well beyond what I am aware of today.
Feel the same exact way.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:

I'm retired now but I fully understand tracking. Anyone who has a cell phone should realize that they should no longer have any sense of personal privacy. And it has been that way literally for years......

As I stated above, I'm retired now but I spent years working for a large company in what was labeled "Transportation Engineering".. At one time, the company was the govt's computer back-up for the US military and other important government infrastructures. Tracking existed them. I was involved in several computer projects in the late 1990's when this was happening. Those folks were all large frame computer users, and it amused me that they had so little experience in small frame/laptop and desktop computer capabilities that we were wanting to use for inter-company physical monitoring and tracking of product loss/gains and financial transactions. Those things eventually came about within five years and after, and they became universal between sub-companies where legally allowed in the oil transportation world.

Tracking in various forms exists and it has existed for years, and it is nothing new by any stretch of the imagination.......... Fire up you cell phone and you're "online". If you have Alexa or Siri in your home, they are listening too about conversations you might have with your wife about computer/internet shopping. 15 minutes after a conversation, adds can pop up on both of your cell phones about the exact conversation you just had. A simple flick of a switch and the tracking can expand wherever someone wants it to go to... And that is just one version. If you have a vehicle with a theft prevention capability, every time you back you car out of the garage, your every move is being tracked. And that too is not a new thing. IIs been around for years. I recently got rid of a 2018 Chevy Colorado 4WD so equipped, and its replacement - a 2021 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack with a 485 hp 392 Hemi (I know - just what an old man needs) even provides you with your "trips" on the associated phone app. The Colorado didn't do that but it knew when and where I was at all times in my vehicle - along with my cell phone too. Same same with my wife's car. If so inclined, which we're not, we'd suck at being Bonnie and Clyde in today's world. I'm sure that the tracking algorithm probably yawns each time it sees where we typically go. Or maybe not?

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 01-15-2021 at 03:32 PM. Reason: too many to list....
Old 01-15-2021, 03:13 PM

BCB, same thing for the maintenance minders, software updates, etc. We haven't been driving much what with COVID and some health related issues, yet the computer continues to nag about anything. And now, since most states require 'hands free driving', you have to Bluetooth link your cell phone to the car also. Now everybody knows where you are.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:15 PM

Along that train of thought, is not the OnStar system and other's like it, all tracking your every move in a vehicle. Same thing with your smart phone.
Just look how LE/Government can track and see where you and your vehicle are at any given time. Privacy is a long gone item now days.