Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2008, 05:06 AM

Default My shop is finally OPEN!

I'd like to announce that my shop, Precision Ballistics LLC, is finally open for business. I got all my equipment the first of November and have spent the last three weeks dealing with the learning curve. I have made three thousand 6mm bullets in the past three weeks, both flat base and boat tails, and have passed two thousand of them out as free samples.

I'd like to thank the many folks who have helped me along the way, whether it was in the form of advice, materials or equipment. A special thanks to Jerrill Mattingly, Michael Liechty, David Detsch and Eric Stecker. I got 20,000 cores from Mntngoat, which when used with 0.825s makes a bullet 66.7 gr. When I put these cores into 0.790s they make really nice 66.1 grain bullets. I now have 0.790", 0.825", 0.090", 1.050", and 1.150" J4s and am waiting for a B/O for 1.290". I decided to also buy some lead wire so I could make heavier bullets. I'm getting my spools of lead wire from Crown Metal in a week so I will be able to cut the lead and squirt any weight cores for any weight bullets from 62gr through 115gr.

I said I'd post pictures of my shop here when I had everything installed, but it is just much easier to post my website here and everyone with interest can click the link and visit my site. I have several pictures of the entire process there and would love everyone's input as comments or suggestions how to improve anything. Currently I'm just doing 6mm but after I sell some bullets I may branch out to other calibers.

I have 1000 flat base 66.7gr bullets to pass out to my friends at Saubier.com The next 40 6mm shooters wanting to give my bullets a try for free, send me a request using my Contact Us page. I'll send you a box of 25 free and clear. If you like them and wish to send me a comment I may put on my site that would be very appreciated. Anyone wishing to come visit and make a few pills, and you are anywhere around Marion, Indiana, is very welcome to come visit my shop!

Thanks a lot, and good shooting!

www.PrecisionBallisticsLLC.com

bughole@precisionballisticsllc.com
Old 11-21-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Congrats.

Best of luck. r
Old 11-21-2008, 10:54 PM

Default web site & shop

Bughole;

You have built a good looking Web site and set up a fine looking operation,

Good luck with them.

swageall
Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 PM

There seems to be a nitch market for light weight .14 cal bullets, I can't find any lighter than 15gr and I have a 1 in 10 14cal barrel that I need some 8 to 10gr bullets for. Larry
Old 11-21-2008, 11:38 PM

Way cool looking shop.
Best of hopes for your great adventure.

John
Old 11-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Board Sponsor

Once I get the tooling made we'll have the 12g available again. For now Marty at Twisted K is making 12g Solids. He has had great results with them and I'll be testing some shortly.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 05-04-2009, 09:57 PM

Default nice web site

very nice web site. what are you using to countersink you meplates.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:07 AM

Cool

I use the Montour County Rifles Meplat Uniforming Tool to uniform and countersink my bullets. The MCRifles tool is unique among other meplat uniformers because it does not use a Delrin insert to hold the bullet. Instead it features a caliber-specific seat for the bullet's ogive, precisely milled in the stainless tool body. The hole's diameter is milled specifically for only 6mm; accordingly it achieves a very precise fit. One of the drawbacks of other tools that employ a Delrin (plastic) insert is inconsistent bullet seating pressure arising from the natural "give" of plastic verses stainless steel. Because stainless steel is harder than copper, it sometimes puts a minor mark on the shaft, but this does not effect accuracy. When you order meplat uniforming, I remove 0.002" from the tip, which pushes small burrs inside of the hollow point. I then use the center de-burring tool to remove these burrs and an even countersink is left in their place. This removes any inconsistencies in your bullet’s meplat, which produces better results, particularly at longer ranges. The deburring tool is part of their set up and the tip is extremely delicate, I have broken three of them and have four on my shelf as back-ups. Doing this is not the most fun thing to do and takes five times as long as making the bullet in the first place, but if shooters want it done and don't have the tool or want to do it I will be happy to do it. There is actually a marked decrease in the vertical component of your groups out past 300 yards. Of course wind and mirage never go away!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 AM

I know I started making 66.7gr 6mm bullets and passed out around 3,000 of them free to Saubier readers, but in case you haven't been on my website recently, I now am also making 66gr, 68gr, 74gr, 80gr, 88gr, 90gr and 95gr 6mm bullets, in both flat base or boat tail base. I still have about 17,000 cores that will make the 66.7gr bullets, but when those are gone I will likely not carry that bullet any longer.

My die maker, Dave Detsch, is working on a set of VLD dies for me and I sent him some Berger 105s and 108s as well as Sierra 107s to use for the general pattern. Should come out with around a 15 ogive, a very deep boat tail and a 0.030" meplat. I hope to see those dies this summer sometime. If they make bullets anywhere near as good as the above named ones, I will be very pleased. Feel free to visit my site anytime!

http://PrecisionBallisticsLLC.com
Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 AM

Bunghole

Can you export to Australia??

What other calibers and weights are you planning on in the future

a 6.5 cal around the weight of 120-125 grain with the BC of the 144 Lapua FMJBT would be great for the 6.5x47 crowd.

Waht about something in .30 cal light weight for us 30 BR shooters?

thanks
P