Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 PM

My capacity is 95% of the Mach IV, so I used that data backed off by 5% to get me started. I started with 15.0 grains of H4198 and the 25 Vmax, Rem 7.5 primer. It looks like I should be able to get up to around 16.0 with the 25 and maybe 16.4 with the 20, again based on the Mach IV data I have. No way to know for sure until I start working up.

The barrel is nominally a 10 twist, but I never measured it. In any case the first 10 25gn VMaxs I fired left round holes in the target, so that's promising. Will plan to stay with the Rem primers and H4198 for now, as I have a good supply of both and they seem like they should be good choices. May try Reloader 7 if I ever find any, or maybe H322, but that seems like it could be a bit slow for me. Keep trying to get time to find time to work on it and get the chrono out, but work's been crazy this week, so maybe this weekend.

Patrick
Old 08-16-2013, 12:04 AM
Supporting Member

For some reason I wasn't thinking the capacity was going to be that close to the mach iv, now I see why you're expecting that velocity. My contender m iv that I had a run groove cut for it shoots better now that its a rimmed version, 10 twist to boot and loves the 25 v-max. Good luck, sound like fun!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 01:57 AM

Been fun already just to finally have the barrel in hand! I've been staring at the formed cases for literally years and finally decided now was the time to get a reamer and go for it. The only experimental part of it really is that it is a true zero taper case. The chamber is 0.379 all the way from the rim to the shoulder, gets me all the capacity I can out of the .357 brass. I only shortened it enough to ensure the rough formed necks would completely clean up when trimmed. I thought about just doing a rimmed MIV, but wanted something to call my own.

Patrick
Old 08-29-2013, 03:28 AM

Default A little progress, but no more shooting

Finished building a hangar bar and new forend for the MG barrel. Felt like I could use more weight out front, so the hangar bar is 9" long and .5" square, steel. Adds 10 oz all by itself. Made a new forend to go with it, 2" wide with a flat bottom for the rest. Just doing the oil finish now and for the next few days. Also loaded up 20 rds. each of 15.2 and 15.4 of 4198, hope to shoot them and chrono in the next few days. Pics then, I promise!

Patrick