Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Supporting Member

Muzzle brake or not you will really enjoy it and Kevin will do you good. That said I agree with Doug about not really a need for the muzzle break. Of course my 30 Killer Bee had a heavy laminated stock at the time and a heavy barrel, but I could see way more red mist than I needed in my scope lol.

Looking forward to seeing how this project progresses, I’m excited just thinking about it!
Old 06-15-2019, 01:16 PM

Default Thanks for the picture Doug...

Just love the little boxing Bee,it tickles me too and the fact that it’s attached to a Cooper helps a bit too
Dan really had a knack for not only designing neat cartridges but also naming them well too.
Matt
Old 06-15-2019, 01:32 PM

I agree with Montdoug about the brake for small calibers. I have a used M21 in 223 that the previous owner had put a very nice Vais brake on it. It matches the texture of the bead blasted SS barrel. What bothers me is it when you fire the rifle, the gasses from the brake distorts what you see in the scope, sort of like having real bad mirage on a hot day. Really wrecks being able to see the nice acrobatics on PDs.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:45 PM
Supporting Member

Good point TinMan that I never considered (I only shoot a brake on a 7-30 waters and never get to see much of anything lol).

The other thing is when I was younger and could get back up on my own, I really enjoyed those walks around a of town many times shooting off a bipod. Well, I found out the hard way that those gasses also create only heck of a dust cloud lol. Got caught up in the moment and didn’t consider or anticipate what was going to happen the moment I pulled the trigger shooting into the wind. Probably isn’t good for the paint on a pickup good lol
Old 06-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Gary, I'll add that I won't buy a pistol with a brake/compensator on it. A buddy had one (a short barreled Officer's model 45ACP) and the first time I shot it, it sent a bunch of burned powder back into my face. I wear glasses, but still got all the junk in my eyes.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch_hound View Post
Ok fellas now thinking about a muzzle brake for my rifle. Any thoughts good or bad? Anyone have a brake on there KB happy unhappy worth the expense?
The only reason for a muzzle brake is recoil reduction. I don't have a .20 Killer Bee, but I have a .20 VarTarg on a Cooper M38 Classic, which is a light rifle and has very little recoil.

I have taken my Cooper to South Africa three times. On the 2017 trip, the five year-old stepson of one of the professional hunters center punched a sand grouse at about thirty yards and turned it into a shower of feathers. I'll never forget the huge smile on that kid's face.

Your money, your choice of course, but I would skip the brake and roll the money into a good scope. Either way, good luck with your Killer Bee; I'm sure you are going to have a lot of fun with that rifle.