Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Banned

Default Cooper

Did any of you guys ever ask him why he wanted to help Obama???
Old 06-17-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
Did any of you guys ever ask him why he wanted to help Obama???
Even though I have no use at all for Obama and his admin, or his wife, does it really matter if Dan supported him ? We do live in a free republic, so far and each can support or vote for who they want, right ?
We might tell each other our reasons, if we want, for who we support, but in all actuality it is no one else's business who we do vote for. Just a thought. Bill K
Old 06-17-2019, 03:02 PM
Banned

Default Cooper

Asking a guy how many times he gets laid a night now that's personal! Why he gave money to the enemy I don't think is so personal!!!
Old 06-17-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Even though I have no use at all for Obama and his admin, or his wife, does it really matter if Dan supported him ?
It matters if the money we pay for his rifles ends up supporting an anti-gun, anti-American politician.

If Hillary Clinton decided to build high-quality rifles at an affordable price and use the proceeds to fund her next campaign, would you buy one?

I think Dan Cooper is a good guy and he built a good rifle, but he made a bad political choice and it cost him his company.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:40 PM

So you would not mind then if someone told you how you should spend your money, Right.
Not trying to start a pissing war, just stating each of us can spend or support who we want, as long as this is really a free republic and we agree with the U.S. Constitution and our Bill of Rights. Still just my thoughts of course, and I still say Dan can spend his money as he desired.
And yes, if you disagree with him or any business person, then do not buy from them, if you want, but we should still honor each others choice's. Bill K
Old 06-17-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Even though I have no use at all for Obama and his admin, or his wife, does it really matter if Dan supported him ? We do live in a free republic, so far and each can support or vote for who they want, right ?
We might tell each other our reasons, if we want, for who we support, but in all actuality it is no one else's business who we do vote for. Just a thought. Bill K
Of course folks are free to support whoever they want but they also have to be prepared to accept the consequences.

IMO it was not so much as who he chose to support but when the word got out that he had supported Obama he denied it, however his donation was large enough that it was a matter of public record and it was not long before proof of his donation was posted on the internet. He alienated a lot of buyers with his support of Obama but when he lied about it that hurt his credibility badly and there were a lot of folks who boycotted Cooper Arms because of his actions.

Lets face it - as the owner of a gun company throwing financial support behind an anti-gun President was not a great business plan. I suspect that he has regretted that decison a time or two.

edited to add - Here is quick summation of the downfall of Dan Cooper and his losing control of the company -

Political donation controversy
On October 27, 2008 a USA Today article featuring executives supporting Barack Obama for president was published naming Dan Cooper as a financial supporter of the campaign.[11] Scandal soon erupted across gun-related web forums and blogs when it was made public that Dan Cooper supported a pro-gun control Presidential candidate and had donated several thousand dollars to his campaign. Gun owners and blogs reacted to the news calling for a boycott of his company.[1]

By October 28, 2008 Cooper Firearms released a message on their website, noting that the company itself had not contributed in any fashion, and clarifying Cooper's contributions.[12]

On October 29, 2008 Cooper Firearms updated the message on their website indicating the board of directors asked Dan Cooper to step down as CEO of the company.[13]

In an October 30, 2008 article from USA Today Dan Cooper confirmed that he did indeed resign as CEO.[1] In the same article the governor of Montana, Brian Schweitzer said he was disturbed by the backlash.[1] Bob Ricker, executive director of the pro-gun control American Hunters and Shooters Association, called it "McCarthyism at its worst" noting that "If you're a gun owner, but you have a contrary view to some of these wackos, they will go out and try to destroy you."[1]

drover

Last edited by drover; 06-17-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
So you would not mind then if someone told you how you should spend your money, Right.
Not trying to start a pissing war, just stating each of us can spend or support who we want, as long as this is really a free republic and we agree with the U.S. Constitution and our Bill of Rights. Still just my thoughts of course, and I still say Dan can spend his money as he desired.
And yes, if you disagree with him or any business person, then do not buy from them, if you want, but we should still honor each others choice's. Bill K
I agree with you that where we put our money and support is our choice. The problem is that Cooper's money was coming from me and his other customers, and he was donating it to a guy who wanted to eliminate our rights. If our firearms rights go away, then Cooper goes out of business. The irony would be hilarious if our constitutional rights weren't on the line.

Cooper can still support anti-gun Democrats, but in the end it cost him his business. If he didn't leave his customer base would have dried up, his business would have folded, and everyone would have lost their jobs. This is exactly the same result that would have happened if Obama had succeeded at destroying our firearms rights.

Sometimes we vote not only at the polls but with our wallets as well.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Banned

Thumbs down Cooper

Bill, you folks from California look at things a little bit different than the rest of the country!!!!
Old 06-18-2019, 04:37 PM
Supporting Member

I would not hesitate to buy a rifle from Cooper at the present time as Cooper today is not the same company in terms of ownership that it was when Dan ran the ship aground.

I'm glad that he was forced out and that jobs were saved for people and that the company survived. On the other hand, some very good folks who were with the original company have left Cooper since it changed ownership.

That said, how an individual spends his money is his business alone. He just needs to realize that if he is a public figure that choices can have consequences.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 06-18-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:34 PM
Banned

Default Cooper

If I ever meet him that's the first thing in going to ask him! Why did you give thst scum your money!