Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Supporting Member

Default Why do cast bullets shoot so much faster than a Jacketed

I post the pics in another thread

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...l/IMG_2549.jpg

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16039

my molly coated lead cast bullets shoot over 250 fps faster than a lighter weight 27 gr jacketed bullet. i realize that there may be more contact area with the jacketed bullet but it just doesn't add up...

I dropped powder charge and the suckers still ran 2581 fps... and they actually shot better when i ran em full load... geez

Also about what is a good velocity to run them at to minimize lead fouling and get best penetration on a Raccoon

Last edited by GLWenzl; 11-29-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added link
Old 11-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Supporting Member

Cast bullets seal bore better.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:14 AM

Cast bullets of the same weight and using the same powder charge will generally run a little faster than jacketed bullets because lead is "slicker" than copper. Where I first noticed it was in pistol loads, then I came across an article in G&A or Outdoor Life back in the 70's that made mention of this, if I remember right they said that lead or lead alloy with grease of some kind had less friction than dry copper. If you are getting that kind of velocity I would like to find out what you are doing. For the most part if I get my lead bullets above 2200 or so they will lead like a big dog.

Bob
Old 11-28-2011, 04:51 AM

Lead has less friction in the bore than jacketed bullets. That's why lead bullets in handgun loads need way less propellant and also why jacketed bullets need more. A jacketed bullet will get stuck in the bore at lead bullet velocity.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Simply less friction. We need to know more about your cast projectiles, alloy, mold grain weight, mold maker and #, sized diameter, moly application process, and the lube used in the lube groves. Looking at the picture I see a dark coating of the moly and a ring on each bullet that indicates your nose punch for sizing or the seating stem in the seating die is leaving the mark.

Cast bullets can be a lot of fun but do take a lot of work to find the right combination for each barrel.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBob View Post
If you are getting that kind of velocity I would like to find out what you are doing. For the most part if I get my lead bullets above 2200 or so they will lead like a big dog.

Bob

It actually all started with Wild Bill West (that’s his real name… or most of it lol) if I remember right he got a group buy together with lee on a bullet mold he designed. I fell for it and it sat quite a while before I used it. but Bill sent me a sample of some of his bullets… I was im,pressed with them, not sure what type of lead he used. I don’t see any numbers on the Lee mould but it makes a nice lil RN bullet with two cannelures on it. I have tried crimping into the top cannelures

I have no clue what I am doing...

1. I get this heavy 5 gallon bucket of tire weights from the tire shop in town

2. Rem loaned me a lead melting pot so I sat out in the shop melting all the tire weights and scraped all the crap off tyhe top and put the rest into cupcake pans. shhh my wife still doesn't know and they fell right out when they cooled.

3. re-melted a few lead cupcakes and struggles a began... making two little 20 cal/30 gr bullets at a time can be tedious to say the least. they had like air bubbles in the bullets an someone said I need to heat my mold up first, I did and they came out nice

4. Now that I have nice shinny lead bullets I decided to molly coat them… I was into molly coating everything at the time… had thoughts about molly coating my ice cream…

I luv those 591s!

5. still no clue I load em up just like I load up anything else. They seem to shoot real well so me and the boys went squirrel hunting a few times with it… head shots was common….

6. now the fun is over, was told my barrel will lead up very quickly at that velocity but hey I didn’t know any better and I kind of gave up…

but now I am all over it, hopefully this weekend will allow time to down load them some more and get them around 2k-2200 and then try em out on raccoons!

But my nice lil vacation taking life easy these past few weeks is over… boys and girls BB started first game was tonight so Is balls to the floor for the next several months….
Old 11-29-2011, 04:39 PM

Just one suggestion please don't melt wheel weights in any kind of closed space there is arsenic in them along with some other nasty stuff. I would love to get my hands on some of your 20cal lead bullets if you could spare a few. Im in the process of bulding a 591 in 20 Hornet.

Thanks
Bob
Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Supporting Member

e-mail me your address and i'll get some coming for ya
Old 11-29-2011, 10:39 PM

Not sure where to find your email, mine is RwBeV@msn.com

Bob
Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 PM

Default That's interesting.....

Since in the process of swapping stuff for 22 casts.......you're right on time, GL. Thought Id get some for my Hornet for plinking and tree climbing Sciuridae this fall.

MOLY COATING LEAD?.........yeah, yeah......old newbie, but that's a new one on me.

I've read the threads on moly but not on cast. Never went that route. Im one of those that "if it aint broke........" type of guys but this is the first Ive read lead being FASTER than jacketed but this IS an upper limit......I thought for lead? Even with a gas check.

huuuuuuh.

Repeat after me

" I do NOT want to get into casting. I do NOT want to get into casting".......100 times........maybe it will work?

I keep looking at about 200? 54 cal casts I have Ill never shoot.......and calculating how many 22 bullets Id get out of it.....argh.

Neat.

GodBless
steve