Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-18-2019, 05:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

I wonder if it's the rifle barrel needing to settle down more than the ammo age. I have noticed a particular load may shrink in about the 3rd group shot with the same bullet and powder charge.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:53 PM

I shoot 30 rounds of 577/450 a 2 or 3 of years ago in one of my martini's. It was foil case, blackpowder paper patched and it came in a paper wrapped package tied with string and was marked made in the 1880's.

Every round fired, every round on target.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:32 PM

Default Cold Welding

While cold welding between the bullet jacket and inside the case neck is certainly real. it is also quite rare. When reloading, not getting the last little bit of carbon fouling out of the inside of the neck will prevent it. It can also be prevented by various bullet coatings, which is one reason I moly coat everything. Severe cold welding can cause extremely high pressure as the Army found when they tried Tin coating on match ammo in the twenty's and wrecked rifles.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:42 AM

While I have not noticed any accuracy issues with older reloads I do check them before I shoot them up. You can set your seating die to just bump them. Yes, It will change your OAL but I think you will find that some feel stuck and pop a little when seated while others feel normal.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Note:

Those old '06 shells I mentioned above.
Had been under a work bench here in town
since the '30's. Unheated block garage.
Just in a closed coffee can. Here in the summer it gets
to 103-105 most of two months every summer.
And many winters down to -30.

Bob: When I rebarreled the sako, we tried 19 various bullets
35-55gr. Amazing the variance in group size. I really expected
the orange tip 40 gr Noslers to be one of the tightest shooters.
Those barely made 1 1/4", one of the biggest groups.

Ended up with ten shots with 40gr V'max repeatedly: .230"

You might try other brands of bullets and compare. Know you've got
'em on the shelf.

Have fun, better than getting beat on by the wife!! (tell her hi)

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 05-19-2019, 01:30 PM

I had some late 80's Rem brass for my 17 rem. The brass had been loaded a couple times, found some I had loaded about 20 years ago with W760 and Berger bullets. I decided to shoot some, accuracy still good but necks cracked(very small just above the shoulder). I pulled the rest,annealed the brass and reloaded with same bullet and powder(with original charge weight) no more neck cracking.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:00 AM

The question hasn't always been on the accuracy or lack of accuracy in really old ammunition.

Its somewhat odd, that you fellas who have no issue, or lack of faith in your ability to build a custom rifle, have lack of faith in your ability to hand load your own ammunition.

Seriously, if you have no qualms or doubts about replacing a barrel on a rifle and then chambering it, you shouldn't have a fault with your ammunition.

Factory ammunition is well known for in polite words, SUCKING.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 PM
Supporting Member

Unhappy

I’ve has some reloads that I went to pull bullets on and was stuck pretty good. I got tired of pulling bullets and just set them a little deeper and shot them up at PDs. No idea in accuracy on paper but they popped dogs like crazy.

Funny part was, while I was reseating the bullets to break the the world, only about 25-30 percent popped a little...reloaded them and didn’t notice any diffeeancr
Old 06-06-2019, 12:16 AM

Default Old ammo

I’ve shot lots of 223, 17 Rem, and other varmint rounds that were approaching 15 years old.
They were my reloads and they performed just fine.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:35 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Rivard View Post
While cold welding between the bullet jacket and inside the case neck is certainly real. it is also quite rare. When reloading, not getting the last little bit of carbon fouling out of the inside of the neck will prevent it. It can also be prevented by various bullet coatings, which is one reason I moly coat everything. Severe cold welding can cause extremely high pressure as the Army found when they tried Tin coating on match ammo in the twenty's and wrecked rifles.
If I understand you correctly, using a wire bore brush on the interior case necks until they are shiny would be bad news? Probably makes sense since powder fouling would be gone; a shiny neck means any surface oxidation would be gone exposing fresh brass surface to oxidation.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn