Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 05-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Default .20 caliber on a budget?

Okay, I have to start by admitting that I've been bitten by the .20 cal. bug. But, not just any bug - rather, it's the one that makes you want to wildcat! So, with a strong desire, and light pocketbook, I'm forging ahead.

I'm reaching out to others that share the same affliction as I, and asking the question - Is is possible to build a .20 caliber something on a budget? I'm not looking for a benchrest gun, but simply a light varminter for shooting ground squirrels. I would like it to be a repeater, so it needs to feed from the mag. box without hiccupping. I would also like it to be efficient and not too noisy. Since I hunt in one of the lead-free zones, the only bullet currently available (that I know of) is the Barnes Varmint Grenade. This bullet is obviously challenged in the BC area, so shots will be confined to 250 yards or less. I have a small bolt-face Rem. 700 (.222) that I could sacrifice to the project, and plenty of .221 FB and .222 Rem. brass to work with. I have experience with a buddies .221 FB built with a standard .223 action and it doesn't feed well. Would I be better off staying with one of the cartridges based on the .222? The FB-based cartridges interest me because they use so little powder, but the potential feeding issues concern me.

Also, could I use a factory Rem. barrel chambered in .204 Ruger, and have it shortened and rechambered? Or would there be too much "meat" taken off in the chamber to be safe?

Once I locate all of the components, who would you recommend to do the gunsmithing for me?

Thanks in advance for all of the advice. I know with support from members of this forum, I will make it through this sickness.

Rich
Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 PM

Trade your Remington for a CZ 527 chambered for the .221 Fireball, .222 Rem, or .223 Rem and add a .20 VarTarg barrel.

CZ 527 .22 Hornet to .20 Ackley Hornet is another option. Less powder but the dies might be more expensive. Maybe bushing dies for the .17 Ackley Hornet will work.

I don't know anything about the Varmint Grenade bullets. If that's what you have to use then you better find out if they shoot or you're up a creek with a rifle you can't use.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 PM

I'll second the CZ 221 FB. I picked one up for my dad's birthday gift and shot it last weekend. Super sweet.

Alternatively, you already have the 700 rem in 222 with plenty of brass. Throw a 20 cal barrel on in 20 bobcat or 20 Vartarg turbo and call it a day.

Or, you could also pick up a Savage in 223 and do the barrel swap yourself in whatever you want. A prechambered barrel will cost you the same as a barrel blank for the Rem. What you'll save on smith work you can put to the new gun and have a whole gun out of it.

Thanks
Rick

Last edited by casts_by_fly; 05-26-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Supporting Member

Central California? How about a 20 duster?

ML
Old 05-27-2009, 02:41 AM

Default 20 Practical

How about a 20 Practical on your M 700? Uses 223 Rem bushing dies and should feed just like the 223. Accurate and approaches 204 Ruger / 20 Tactical velocities.

Good luck,
Gary
Old 05-27-2009, 03:24 AM
Supporting Member

I'm gathering parts to cure the same sickness.....
Old 05-27-2009, 05:07 AM

Thanks for all of the input so far guys. I would really like to stay with a parent cartridge that is .222 size or shorter. I have a .223 and would just like to try something that fills the gap between the .22 WMR and the bigger guns. Since I have to shoot lead-free, I'm stuck with one bullet, so I don't want to tie a bunch of money up just to scratch my itch. If the bullets perform okay, I can always upgrade as funds allow.

Any used equipment out there that might fill the bill? I don't mind starting off with a used barrel that can be freshened. Any reputable smiths that can perform the barrel install and chambering and not cost a small fortune? I know that precision costs money, but I can only afford to be so precise!

Thanks again for all the input.

Rich
Old 05-27-2009, 05:21 AM

I bought a new takeoff Remington .204 barrel for $40.00. You could put it on a Remington or fit it to a Savage, I am putting it on a Steyr action right now. There are lots of these out there, you just need to look for them. Larry
Old 05-27-2009, 06:19 AM

Larry,

Will you keep it chambered in 204R, or are you going to cut off some of the chamber and go for something else?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 05-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Supporting Member

I have a feeling it doesn’t matter too much what you do because it seems once bitten by the small caliber bug there is no end to it So ya might as well forget the budget and go first class all the way… LOL

Truthfully you sound just like me when I first got started in subcals… Looking back I wish that I would not have taken some of the short cuts that I have and just figured out what I really wanted and then figured out how to get there…

Do a lot of looking to find a pre owned barrel, sometimes you can get a new take off pretty reasonable. I don’t think he has much any more but a call to James Calhoon might come up with something for ya. If you have a say an old 22-250 lying around it would be much better off as a 20 BR…..

But it was me in you situation I would consider buying a CZ 204 even if it meant selling something. From that point I would be looking at 22 caliber bushing dies prices and do a simple neck down (or up) of

17 Fireball or 22 Fireball = 20 Fireball/VT
222 = 20-222
204 Ruger Short

They would all be simple to make brass for and not require x-$ for dies.

Not sure on the exact details on the 204 shorty but do a search for a member here named sicero, maybe Kenny will see and jump in here but he has done quite a bit with the short 204 Rs….