Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 05-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20-222 long neck

Kenny (Sicero) is the man on shortened 204R's. He helped me build mine (CZ527, originally 223, used a varmint 204R barrel for the build), and it has the feature of using the 222Rem long neck, to reduce the freebore found in 204 chambers. I can load off the rifling w/o issues.

Some pics and info http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3902

Greg
Old 05-27-2009, 08:18 PM

Thanks Greg. I sent Sicero a PM to see if I could learn more about the shortened .204 Ruger.

Rich
Old 05-28-2009, 01:11 AM

I spent money on mine because I wanted a custom barrel and HS stock but it started as a CZ 223 and as I had Lapua brass I wanted to keep it on that case rather than another 204. I didnt want the Practical as I liked the look of the longer neck on the 20 Tac.

I bought a second hand 204 ruger FL die and the smith cut it off so I could run the 223 brass in and push the shoulder back 30thou at the same time as necking down. I have a no5 Shilen and wanted it fluted so I only fired 3 shots (in its factory stock) before it went back for the rest of the work. Since the HS stock is now 2 months late from the Oz distributor I still cant tell you how it works but the case looks right with a 39Bk in it!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:40 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default 30 thou?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevort View Post
I spent money on mine because I wanted a custom barrel and HS stock but it started as a CZ 223 and as I had Lapua brass I wanted to keep it on that case rather than another 204. I didnt want the Practical as I liked the look of the longer neck on the 20 Tac.

I bought a second hand 204 ruger FL die and the smith cut it off so I could run the 223 brass in and push the shoulder back 30thou at the same time as necking down. I have a no5 Shilen and wanted it fluted so I only fired 3 shots (in its factory stock) before it went back for the rest of the work. Since the HS stock is now 2 months late from the Oz distributor I still cant tell you how it works but the case looks right with a 39Bk in it!!!
Is there enough spring back to establish the correct headspace? Or is that how much shorter the round is? Do you then have to trim the brass? Just curious.

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office

Last edited by larryinIA; 05-28-2009 at 01:41 AM. Reason: second thought
Old 05-28-2009, 02:20 AM

The shoulder is formed back and the neck lengthens in one pass. The smith made some dummy cases and cut the chamber to suit. He removed the neck of some dummies to get the exact length to run in his 204 reamer short and he uses a different reamer to do the neck area.

The reason I only fired it three times before it went back for the other work was that his shell holder in his press is thinner than mine and the cases I made only just chambered as I couldnt size them down any further. on firing the cases expanded to make extraction very difficult, in fact impossible on the third one (cleaning rod when I got home)

He has since skimmed some metal off my shell holder so I can size down a bit further until they chamber easily. He set it up using his no turn neck dimensions for 204 rifles but the brass thickens a little on necking down, especially since a little of the shoulder becomes part of the neck, so now it is a neck turn proposition. I could have just bought a Tac 20 reamer or done the 204 short or 20 prac he has made for other clients but what the heck. I posted on our home board about whether it was different enought to have a name. Probably isnt, but one of my mates posted "its just another bloody 20 cal" so JAB 20 is stamped on the barrel and the licensing division has it registered as a JAB 20