Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 04-12-2017, 06:03 PM

I probably shot 25-30 coyotes with the 25 gr bullets this winter but I want to shoot a hevier bullet so I ordered a Lilja 9 twist barrel to put on my current 10 twist Cooper. I think I will have it cut to 24" and shoot 30 gr Bullets so I will probably start with about 25 gr of 760 and work up. I will probably try some n540 also I have heard good things about this powder but it's spendy. Once I get my load figured out I will have leupold cut me a new dial and get to hunting. Cds is amazing and easy. With my 25 grain bullets and the cds I could get 3-5 inch groups at 500 yards but not much power left at that range.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:42 PM

It seems everyone gets great accuracy and velocity from the Lilja tubes. Your accuracy is dependent on how straight the chamber is to the bore. If you are using a 700 action get the bolt bushed before chamber and headspacing. With the vld style bullets cut a chamber with zero or at least minimal freebore. I personally do not consider the 17's as 500 yard coyote guns. Mine will stop a coyote at 350 but shot placement is critical. I shoot the 17 strictly to reduce pelt damage, if I expect 300+ yard shot I take a 22-250. Lucky that most coyote I can sneak inside of 300. The new barrel is basically extending,for me, shots from 250 to 350. A 17/204 has more velocity, but I like you have brass and reloading equipment for 17rem, I also have one in an ar15, that why I didn't go 17/204.

Last edited by coyotespotter; 04-12-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:09 PM

Sounds like a great rifle!
Old 05-02-2017, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotespotter View Post
It seems everyone gets great accuracy and velocity from the Lilja tubes. Your accuracy is dependent on how straight the chamber is to the bore. If you are using a 700 action get the bolt bushed before chamber and headspacing. With the vld style bullets cut a chamber with zero or at least minimal freebore. I personally do not consider the 17's as 500 yard coyote guns. Mine will stop a coyote at 350 but shot placement is critical. I shoot the 17 strictly to reduce pelt damage, if I expect 300+ yard shot I take a 22-250. Lucky that most coyote I can sneak inside of 300. The new barrel is basically extending,for me, shots from 250 to 350. A 17/204 has more velocity, but I like you have brass and reloading equipment for 17rem, I also have one in an ar15, that why I didn't go 17/204.
What is bushing the bolt and what does this do? Also you say to go with little to no freebore for the 30gr bullets. This may be a stupid question but this means that every time I load a round it will be jammed into the rifling/lands right?
Old 05-02-2017, 10:01 PM

I do not load any hunting rounds that touch lands. Use a reamer with a short or no throat(freebore). This and a 1/9 twist barrel will be a great combination for 30 gr bullets in the 17 rem. It allow you to seat the bullet a little longer as the throat wears. Good luck,I loaded up next winters coyote loads last night. Bushing the bolt is custom fitting the firing pin to the bolt face to reduce primer flow, an improperly fitted firing pin can give a false high pressure sign. I think this is more important than trueing the action.

Last edited by coyotespotter; 05-02-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:12 PM

Ok sounds good!! I won't have my Lilja 9 twist barrel until about July and then probably another month or so to chamber it. I have 100 30 gr blackhole bullets and three hundred primed and ready to load bullets. Should give me plenty of time to test some loads and be ready for coyotes by November. Thanks
Old 05-03-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotespotter View Post
I do not load any hunting rounds that touch lands. Use a reamer with a short or no throat(freebore). This and a 1/9 twist barrel will be a great combination for 30 gr bullets in the 17 rem. It allow you to seat the bullet a little longer as the throat wears. Good luck,I loaded up next winters coyote loads last night. Bushing the bolt is custom fitting the firing pin to the bolt face to reduce primer flow, an improperly fitted firing pin can give a false high pressure sign. I think this is more important than trueing the action.

Lots of good information here.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:10 AM

Default N-540

I have to thank Silverfox first for putting me on this powder. I used it with the 30 grain Bergers and it is a fantastic load and powder. I have the same barrel you are talking about and it makes for a great walking predator rifle. Mine is on a 700 action with a Jewel trigger. Hope everything works out for you.
Ole2Shot
Old 05-03-2017, 12:28 PM

Yea I've read some of silverfoxs stuff and I'm gonna try n540 and 760/414.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:23 PM

I would load up one round every 2/10 gr starting at 24.4 and go up to .4 over book max. Clean the new barrel carefully,using bore guide and proper jags and patches. Using the same bullets have several rounds(3-6) at starting load level,these are fouling and zeroing your scope loads. After getting scope on paper slow fire your ladder loads. You need to record each point of impact and the powder load it used. Watch your brass as you shoot,stop if you see high pressure signs. At the end of your string you should know max safe powder load and a range of charge weight that has very little VERTICAL dispersion. I would start bullet seating .015 off the lands, after determining optimum charge weight you can play with bullet seating. But if your rifle is shooting .5 moa or less I would call it good and save bullets and barrel life for hunting. Let me know when the rifle is done, if you have any questions I will try to help.