Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Supporting Member

I have a friend who has a .22 TCM from RIA (Rock Island Armory). He is impressed, I am not. I fail to see the use for a super velocity round out of a pistol with a relatively short barrel. He jumps with delight at the sight of the fireball, it does nothing for me. Couple that with crap ammo and components from one source and high-priced dies and I have zero interest in owning one. Does this round do anything "special".
Old 12-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Supporting Member

I like the 22 TCM, Eddie chambered a CZ last year for me. I stuck it in an old stock without bedding . Accuracy was so so, around 3/4" but again no load development or bedding done. I want to bed it in another stock when I get time. Hoping to take it to Ore this coming spring for squirrels. I bought a bunch of the first brass they released and think it's very good. I built the 20 Boomer using it. In fire forming a couple cases to send to J. Whidden for dies I went off memory the load I had used in fire forming, used 12 gr instead of 10 gr of 296. Yes it was a dumb thing to do not taking the time to check. The case formed a small belt , primer pocket held but pretty flat. The rifle was a 700 with Kiff cone nose bolt that Eddie built. A lot of brass would have let go or at least blow the pocket totally out. I was told the brass is really the back end of 223 but since the round was for a 1911 pistol, I'm guessing they may have beefed up the head thickness some. My brass has a case volume close to my 22 K Hornet. Neat little case, hope more build on it.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatera View Post
I have a friend who has a .22 TCM from RIA (Rock Island Armory). He is impressed, I am not. I fail to see the use for a super velocity round out of a pistol with a relatively short barrel. He jumps with delight at the sight of the fireball, it does nothing for me. Couple that with crap ammo and components from one source and high-priced dies and I have zero interest in owning one. Does this round do anything "special".
I hear you on muzzle flash/blast etc...especially at night in a defense scenario in a closed darkened room. But...I think it'd be pretty cool in something along the lines of a sub-gun...especially with a 10"-12" barrel &/or surpressed. I.E CZ Scorpion...especially if a switch barrel with 9mm. I used to have a FN PS90 but sold it in favour of experimenting with this round as I felt the 5.7x28 just wasn't reliable enough to me for reloading in a blow back action.

I've also thought about shortening & threading the barrel (16") of my CZ 527 22 TCM just like my CZ 527 Badger. I imagine it could use the same surpressor (Silenco) which can be used on everything rimfire & up to 22 Hornet. Just some thoughts...

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 12-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Supporting Member

I tease my friend about it. Part gun, part flamethrower.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:40 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatera View Post
I tease my friend about it. Part gun, part flamethrower.
{Chuckle} Good one

Being as we can hunt with them in Utah, I think this along with the suppressor could be fun.

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO

Last edited by TOU; 12-02-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:58 PM

Default Tcm

This is one of my favorite cases! have had several CZs done in it and the 6mmTCM on a CZ done by Dasherr, is a great little performer with 55 Noslers and 58 V-maxes.

I agree with the "Flame Thrower" description! That's what makes the little round such a good performer in a rifle....get to use that powder on pushing the bullet, instead of torching the targets.

I shot the pistol at night once and could not see a thing afterwards due to the flash blinding aspect of the flame. The 9mm isn't even close to the amount of flash from the 22 TCM!

Looking forward to hearing TOU's experience when he gets to shoot the TCM he has from me! Just wish the conversion to a repeater could be more simple....but I shoot single-shot with Calhoon's SSA on most all cartridges anyway.

If this case were manipulated and offered in 17 through 6mm cals, like the Garins are done, it would get a lot of following!!! This would be the same as Hornet offerings, but in a 223 bolt-face design....much more available actions and variations in options with the 223 bolt face.

Nice little cartridge....the TCM.

Bill
Old 04-17-2017, 01:13 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william t. oviatt View Post

Looking forward to hearing TOU's experience when he gets to shoot the TCM he has from me! Just wish the conversion to a repeater could be more simple....but I shoot single-shot with Calhoon's SSA on most all cartridges anyway.

If this case were manipulated and offered in 17 through 6mm cals, like the Garins are done, it would get a lot of following!!! This would be the same as Hornet offerings, but in a 223 bolt-face design....much more available actions and variations in options with the 223 bolt face.

Nice little cartridge....the TCM.

Bill
Well Bill & I finally got to do some Wyoming Prairie Dog shooting this weekend...thx so much my friend, it was the most fun I have had in a long time & a total riot. The PD's were HUGE fat little buggers...especially compared to my Alberta/Montana gophers. I brought 6 rifles & several pistols with me as well as more ammo than I could shoot. (Bill had nearly as many.) Funny thing is, besides some pistol plinking, I only shot 4 rds of .223 & the then ended up shooting the 22-TCM exclusivly the rest of the time. Once I started I just didn't need anything else that day & it was VERY addictive!

If you are wondering about this cartridge for accuracy or destructive capability...don't...it completely destroyed every one of them & I mean DESTROYED. I was utterly amazed by this little round in factory loading & factory 40 grn HP bullets on PD's & jack rabbits. I'm guessing the 1:7 twist barrel contributed to this as well.

We were in some pretty good winds some times & it seemed to buck it just fine. I was shooting factory Armscor ammo & it was surprisingly very accurate at 100 yds..no hold over. Longest shot for day was no more than 125 yds though but we were mainly walking about. I had no sling, sticks or rest...to much cactus to sit...all shots were either using a vehicle rest or free hand. Several one shots on the latter. I can't even imagine how it could be more impressive under perfect conditions with no wind, a solid rest, hand loaded ammo with V-Max bullets. Needless to say it was VERY impressive as is & the rifle will never be leaving my ownership.

Thx for the rifle Bill & the wonderful hospitality with you and your wife!

All the best!

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO

Last edited by TOU; 04-24-2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typos & grammar errors
Old 04-17-2017, 02:07 AM

That's encouraging, TOU. I've never shot a round of factory ammo through my Savage, but could see good handloads playing havoc with PD's and such. The lightweight bullets, 30gr Barnes Varmint Grenades, 35gr V-Max and the Nosler equivalent, and the 35gr lead-free offerings from Hornady and Nosler all yield velocities between 3100 and 3300 fps behind LilGun powder (11.5gr yields best accuracy with the 35's; 11.8 with 30 grainers). The cartridge is super sensitive to changes in powder charges, and the accuracy nodes are very narrow. That being said, it's fun working with it. I still do not see much good news concerning the RIA factory rifles.

Like the .17 WSM, I fear the cartridge won't go far due to lack of a good rifle to use it in, but it does have the advantage of a substantial following of pistol shooters.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 AM

TOU.........where is the pic report?
Sounds like a blast.
Pictures please (if you have any)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOU View Post
Well Bill & I finally got to do some Wyoming Prairie Dog shooting this weekend...thx so much my friend, it was the most fun I have had in a long time. It was a total riot...& they were HUGE fat little buggers...especially compared to my Alberta/Montana gophers. I'm guessing many were in the 7-10# range. I brought 6 rifles & several pistols as well as more ammo than I could shoot. (Bill had nearly as many.) Funny thing is, besides some pistol plinking, I only shot 4 rds of .223 & the TCM exclusivly the rest of the time. Once I started I just didn't need anything else that day & it was VERY addictive!

If you are wondering about this cartridge for accuracy or destructive capability...don't...it completely destroyed every one of them & I mean destroyed. I was utterly amazed by this little round in factory losing & factory bullets on PD's & jack rabbits. I'm guessing the 1:7 contributed to this as well.

We were in some pretty good winds some times & it bucked it just fine. I was shooting factory Armscor ammo & it was laser accurate at 100 yds..no hold over. Longest shot for day was no more than 125 yds though but we were mainly walking about. I had no sling, sticks or rest...to much cactus & and to sit...all shots were either using a vehicle rest or free hand. Several one shots on the latter. I can't even imagine how it could be more impressive under perfect conditions with no wind, a solid rest, hand loaded ammo with v-Max bullets. Needless to say it wasVERY impressive as is & the rifle will never be leaving my ownership.

Thx for the rifle Bill & the wonderful hospitality with you and your wife!

All the best!
Old 04-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
TOU.........where is the pic report?
Sounds like a blast.
Pictures please (if you have any)
Thx, it was. I will try to get some photos uploaded but they are pretty graphic so probably better start a new thread.

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO