Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 01-16-2017, 12:27 AM

Default T/C Contender inquiry.

Looking for a bit of knowledge.

I'm interested in buying a T/C Contender and having Bullberry ream a 327 Federal Magnum barrel. Does T/C just sell frames or do I have to buy an entire pistol? I chose the contender for the rimfire/centerfire select. Is there any reason the Encore should be considered?

I think its time to send the H&R Handi (22-250/243) down the road in favour of this project and replace it with a T/C

It just seems that every time I think I have found a load for either the 22-250/243 in the Handi rifle, the damn thing has a mind of its own. So any opinions? I know they no longer make the H&R but does it really matter and are T/C better?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:37 AM

If you have any interest in going back to the 22-250/243, you will have to go with the Encore.
If your going with a custom barrel, that is a good move and can save a huge amount of load work.
You can look at the list of who will chamber what calibers. Some of them are questionable, pressure wise. Some will tell you, you will have to load down.
As far as I know you can still buy a brand new frame, G2 and Encore.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:25 AM

I'd go with the Contender frame before choosing an Encore, and I'd go after a pre-G2 frame. There are some plusses to the G2, but the G2 does not have the adjustable trigger the older ones had and that makes all the difference in the world to me. There are several variations out there in the way of pre-g2's, and to me it wouldn't make any difference which one became available.

It's probably worth noting that G2 wood will not fit the G2 frames, and current G2 barrels will work on the older frames.

The earliest Contenders had triggers that adjusted through the top of the frame, the most recent ones had both the engagement and overtravel adjustments built into the triggers. Real simple adjustment.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:40 AM

As always excellent information!

I read that the Contender is smaller and on T/C website they have a compact model?

Should I lose the 22-250/243 and move on to a 22 K hornet or 221 FB? And stick with the Contender frame?

I know for certain I want Bullberry custom barrels and the first will be the 327 Federal Magnum.

Is there even a "VS" worth debate about the H&R vs the Contender? As I mentioned I have struggled with both the 22-250 and the 243 where I get a nice nickel size group @ 50 yards and then I can go back and fire a week later and I'll get different results?

Its fine for hunting but after working up loads for the CZ and my Bullberry 6.5 I feel spoiled at the groups, they just go where you aim.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:17 AM

I'd get on gunbroker or the like and just pick up a used G1 contender frame. They are readily available for $250-300. Then add barrel of your choice. If you can live with the cartridge limitations of the smaller frame there are tons of options out there.

Patrick
Old 01-16-2017, 04:51 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Looks like a new G2 frame is 349$ at http://www.eabco.net/Contender-G2-Frames_c_2801.html

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 01-17-2017, 09:08 PM

With much consideration I think I will get the Contender.

I'll sell the H&R handi 22-250 with a 243 extra barrel. And buy the Contender frame order 2 barrels from Bullberry- 221 FB and a 327 fed.

It makes the most sense to me. Less powder and I never really load hot at all. I'm sure the 221 will make a great coyote round.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 PM

Jingle, I didn't catch any statement as to whether you're looking to set your Contender up as a carbine or a pistol.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
Jingle, I didn't catch any statement as to whether you're looking to set your Contender up as a carbine or a pistol.
I think I should buy the frame as a pistol so I can have the best of both worlds.

There is no real data on a 327 federal magnum coming out of a 16 inch plus barrel, so I think I'd just have Bullberry make a 12 inch barrel for a pistol set up.

I can order a 18 inch barrel and have them also make me a stock and forearm for a carbine. I believe the law is, it must be a pistol if the barrel is under 16 inches. So no putting a stock on it unless the barrel is over 16 inches. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Now I need to research 221 FB out of a 18 inch barrel or what would be the most efficient length over 16 inches?

The important factor is the wife is ok with it

Last edited by Jingle; 01-18-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:06 AM
Supporting Member

Default Contender

Bullberry is an excellent company to go with. In fact I just shipped a gun to them today. Dont over look MGM Which is Match Grade Machine. I have bought a few barrels from them as well and have had excellent results too. To me, between the two its a flip of the coin. Both great companys and products. Just my two cents is all. MGM also have some barrels made and on the shelf which may save you a few bucks.
Ralph