Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 03-28-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
I would suggest you go to Bellm's TC sight and read his information regarding headspace/fire forming in either the Contender or Encore barrels. You need that case backed up too the face/receiver and initially enough of a false shoulder to have it fire form to you chamber, etc. Just a thought on getting that proper headspace and case fit. Bill K
Hey Bill,

The above is good advice from Bill K. because:

If the head space is an issue because you set the shoulder back too far during case prep then that is a simple fix...

But, if you have excessive head space due to the size/depth of the chamber, THAT is a whole different ball game! You state the necks came up short, which is normal in most all Improved cartridges, after fire forming. (Kenbro posted this kind of issue with his 25-45 Sharps-his chamber was made too deep by the gunsmith-but this was on a bolt-action), and if this is the case, you do not really have a 223REM Improved, but something a little different and oversized, and case and cartridge construction is much more difficult and being on TC doubles that problem-because you cannot do a traditional crush fit on your cases as easily.

I had a Bullberry 17 Rem that had a similar problem as this....I called and talked to Fred and I decided to send it back to him and he rechambered the barrel to a 17-222 rem magnum....he did not have a 17-204 reamer at the time. But, this solved the chamber and brass building problem.

Hope I have not gone on too long on this...and hope it is not an excessively deep chamber, because the solution is either a lot of case-prep work on your part (like having to use 204 or 222REM Mag brass) or send it back to Fred and have it chambered for a 222REM Mag

If the chamber is too deep, then you have a 222REM Mag Improved-SHORT, not a 223Rem Improved...Hope you can understand my wanderings on this....If you like, call me and we can talk on it....

Bill
Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 PM

Hi Bill,

I spoke to Troy at Bullberry and he suggested that I brush the chamber area every 3-5 rounds when I fireform regular 223 loads. He says residue sometimes builds up and doesn't allow the case to fireform correctly. Out of 150 fireform rounds I have maybe 3-4 with short necks.

Troy said to load those up and the next time they are fired they should form correctly.

I am surprised at how accurate this barrel is with factory ammo.

Thanks.

Bill