Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Supporting Member

Minus the lettering it's a 200 dollar job. Blue printing and trueing of modern actions is over rated. I had a long discussion with a couple other smiths and we all concurred that unless you are chasing that last couple .00's it's a waste of time and money. It's a different story if you are working with an old military action but those have gone the way of the Dodo bird and passenger pigeon. 98% of your accuracy will come from having a concentric chamber cut with an impeccable crown. I can't stress the crown enough, probably the single most important aspect of your barrel. There are LOTS of guys out there that do very good work for reasonable prices. Rebarreling is not rocket science, just simple machine work. To pay some of the prices with the ridiculous waiting time I see on here is ludicrous. Just my 2 cents and practical experience.

Aaron
Old 04-22-2017, 06:33 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by long shot View Post
Minus the lettering it's a 200 dollar job. Blue printing and trueing of modern actions is over rated. I had a long discussion with a couple other smiths and we all concurred that unless you are chasing that last couple .00's it's a waste of time and money. It's a different story if you are working with an old military action but those have gone the way of the Dodo bird and passenger pigeon. 98% of your accuracy will come from having a concentric chamber cut with an impeccable crown. I can't stress the crown enough, probably the single most important aspect of your barrel. There are LOTS of guys out there that do very good work for reasonable prices. Rebarreling is not rocket science, just simple machine work. To pay some of the prices with the ridiculous waiting time I see on here is ludicrous. Just my 2 cents and practical experience.

Aaron
Good solid advice.

However, this is the internet where snake oil salesmen can attract people who are willing to pay big money and who don't mind waiting long enough that some people actually forget what it is they're having built.

I'll take a good solid machinist with good equipment, reasonable prices, and short wait times any day of the week. 'Course I won't be able to crow on the old net or when I'm shooting with my buddies about Dr. G performing special miracles on my rifle . Woe is me............

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 04-23-2017 at 02:41 AM. Reason: clarity & sentence structure...........
Old 04-22-2017, 08:24 PM

We used to have a retired tool and die maker at my shooting club. He had his own shop where you could just about eat off the floor. His turn around time for chambering and blueprinting was around 2 weeks once you gave him the barrel. Chambering and printing ran about $250 and his work was meticulous, sadly he gave it all up.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:48 AM

I have had a local young former Marine do a couple of barrel setbacks and some other misc. work to check his competency and he has been very good to this point. Having built a few for myself as a novice his work is much better than mine. And all of mine shoot very well. Anyone interested in using him PM me and I will give you his contact info.

I have had Gre'-Tan build me 3 rifles and they are all laser beams. For a new build I will continue to use Greg because I know what I will get in the end. And as far as his wait times, it was up to 22 months when I put my last build into the rotation.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:14 PM

The Smith that I have used sine the 80's is retired and a member of the BR HOF

His $85.00 Chambering jobs include truing -Lugs Lapped,Threads trued, action trued and timed shoot as good/better than I can Pillar Bedding is $50.00

Jim