Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-08-2020, 06:51 PM
Supporting Member

Tim at ''No Off Season'' is definitely a 1st class operation. I've used him twice.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:47 PM

It would also be good to clearly communicate (in writing) your expected shooting range yardage with a prospective guide. Some folks love the long range shooting- set up a canopy, unload the cooler, lawn chairs etc. and others prefer 150-250 yd. shooting. I have read on Internet forums stories of clients being kept out of reasonable range.

Also, a can of bug spray and sunscreen.

I think my regular companions and I are pretty good at finding and shooting PD’s. We take 250 rds. each per day. For us, to shoot all 250 is a very good day.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:30 PM
Supporting Member

I am retired and therefore no time limited in any way when I go out hunting. For me, finding the spots is half the fun of going because you get to cruise lots of country. When I was still working and only had 2 days to a week for a hunt, I either hunted country I knew very well, went with someone who knew the country or ponied up for a guide.

With respect to accommodations, after being out in the sun, dust or mud, sweating or freezing I want a warm room to clean up and a good restaurant for a good steak and a full breakfast the next morning. Even when I was young, I wasn't real fond of stinking for ten days. Also, at least up here, the bugs in June to Sept are absolutely atrocious so camping out in summer has that challenge too.

Your plan to find a guide in the area you want to hunt makes great sense to me, given you have limited time. Even if the guide doesn't have a lodge, all you need is a good motel and a decent restaurant within an hour or so of the shooting grounds and you are Golden. Best of luck, take lots of pictures and post the story when you get back.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:55 AM

I think the advice given so far is quite good. I don't have the experience of some here, but probably more than most. Depending on when you are going, it's likely to hot. The clothing advice is spot on. Yes, a pair of high end binoculars for spotting dogs is quite helpful. I will use them a lot to spot for another shooter who is having a hard time finding the dogs.

As to guns, take what you have. You won't shoot the 250-3000 much if at all. Plan on rotating guns to protect barrel life. I will usually have a pair of 220 Swifts or 22-250s. I like to have a 17 rimfire handy and one or two in 20 caliber. If the wind gets nasty, it's nice to have a load to buck the wind.

Pretty sure that you will make some changes in what you take the second time you go but you have to figure out what works for you and what doesn't.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:22 AM

If you go out for 3 days of public land pd, 150 rds each for your 22-250,222 and killer bee will be plenty(just you shooting them) especially after June. I would definitely have an accurate rimfire with for an early summer private land shoot,there should be a lot of small gopher size pd if the town hasn't been shot up. The 17 wsm is great for 100 yards and in.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:22 PM

Do not forget to bring a 10'X10' folding canopy if your hunting in 85-100 degree weather if you the room to transport it, it's a life saver!
Old 01-13-2020, 11:50 PM

Default First prairie dog hunt

Thanks gentlemen for all your help, this forum and the people here are first class.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:58 PM
Supporting Member

Best advice you have so far is GOOD glass. Binos AND scopes, you'll be looking through them all day long, or take extra aspirin. Tom.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm24m View Post
Do not forget to bring a 10'X10' folding canopy if your hunting in 85-100 degree weather if you the room to transport it, it's a life saver!
This, to me, is probably the number #1 best advice in this thread. A guy can have all the ammo. for as many rifles as he can haul with unlimited targets out front, BUT if he's miserably hot the whole time, the fun factor is greatly diminished.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Long pants and long sleeved shirts will be appreciated in the hot sun.
so would a cover over your neck.

Good boots as there's a whole lotta cactus in many places. Watch
where you lay down.

Couple or four gallons of water/cool drinks per person a day will help
you enjoy things better too.

This in one of those lists that's endless. Don't try to remember it all.
Get it down in a note book.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"