Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-12-2021, 12:40 AM

Default terrific 20 and 17 books

Am interested in the terrific 20 and the terrific 17 books by Todd Kindler
Wondering if they are of valuable information?
Thought I might purchase for a shooting partner.
Input would be appreciated
Chuck
Old 03-12-2021, 01:24 AM
Supporting Member

I have the 17 caliber book. There is good info in the book but be very careful on the loads that Todd has developed. They were way beyond the loads that my guns would handle.
Rider
Old 03-12-2021, 01:34 AM

Lots of good information by Todd in both books, and his various cartridges on each caliber.
But as mentioned, you want to start way low of the max loads he used and shows in the books, work up to the max in your rifle/s with caution.
I have both and read through them fairly often.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:00 AM

I don't use hard copy reloading data anymore but I think the Terrific 20's is a must have. Enjoy
Old 03-12-2021, 03:13 PM
Supporting Member

Loved the stories in Sensational Seventeens but personally had no use for the load data provided. Good to have on the book shelf or next to the crapper though.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:27 PM
Supporting Member

I love the books as a history reference to his various 17 and 20 caliber cartridges. As for his load data, start low and work up from maybe the bottom or middle. He loaded hot for a reason: Get the best possible velocity possible to sell the new cartridge designs to the public..

In talking with Todd on the phone years ago, it became obvious very quickly that to him that brass was an expendable item. If the load stretched a primer pocket/s on the first load, no biggie. You just got new piece/s of brass and moved on to get the best possible velocities possible.... Again, he knew back then that high velocity numbers sold cartridge deigns.

And I doubt that using coated bullets is the magical solution to his load data. For me.... I stay away from his load data entirely unless I'm at the very bottom of his rung on a certain cartridge. And then I proceed going up with caution. But again I do like having the books on my book shelf from an historical prospective.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 03-12-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:33 PM

Precisely BCB.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:20 PM
Supporting Member

I have both books and find the greatest value is for reference value on each cartridge.

Todd used a coating on all his bullets and from using moly years ago I find a coating does alter the powder load, so while I do load for some cartridges listed in the books I use uncoated bullets so start pretty low and work up.

I do have one rifle that exceeds Todd's data and is safe while using uncoated bullets, but ALL rifles are different.

Years ago I had 2 Savage 99's in 243, one was reloaded as per the book loading data and was totally safe at max book loads, the other blew primers at starting book loads...…..I learnt then that not all rifles are the same and to treat each one as an individual.

Back to Todd's books I highly recommend them and would recommend everyone interested in 17 or 20 cal to purchase them.

One other book I would like to get is Dick Saunders book, but I've never found a place to buy it...…….Kiwi
Old 03-13-2021, 02:47 AM

Thank you for the informative replies.
Think I will see if someone on classifieds may have copies to part with
The cautions to load data will be adhered to,appreciate it
Chuck
Old 04-05-2021, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Lots of good information by Todd in both books, and his various cartridges on each caliber.
But as mentioned, you want to start way low of the max loads he used and shows in the books, work up to the max in your rifle/s with caution.
I have both and read through them fairly often.
This ^^^^^^^