Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 06-09-2021, 05:17 PM

Default WTB - Cooper 38 stock

Thanks to American Airlines, my PD shooting buddy needs a Cooper 38 stock for his Fireball since it arrived home from last week’s PD safari broken in half right behind the receiver. Since AA will claim no responsibility since it was in a SKB case and they dispute the damage, he is on the hook for a replacement. Cooper does not make the 38 anymore and has no stocks on hand but will make one special order in 4 - 6 months. Anybody have a wood or Phoenix stock for a model 38 at a reasonable price?
Old 06-09-2021, 06:30 PM

What would you consider a reasonable price? What kind of stock would he like, classic, varminter, Jackson game or .........
Old 06-09-2021, 07:05 PM

I believe he would like a Phoenix style fiberglass stock - the broken stock was an AAA but not sure the model - checkering but no pistol grip metal and regular butt pad. As far as $$$, not sure but Cooper wants way too much - like $600 plus and a long wait for wood. I know I have seen used stocks for various models in the $300 and up range but no searches turn up any right now. He is not computer savvy so I am assisting in the search.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:49 PM
Supporting Member

The model of rifle, ie varminter, classic, JSR, will determine the stock required as barrel profile changes with different models...Kiwi
Old 06-15-2021, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the comments and PM replies - B&C still has a few NOS model 38 stocks in the warehouse and we got one on the way!
Old 06-16-2021, 08:18 AM

Email to us some pictures of the broken stock. Maybe we can repair it. We've been successful in the past depending on how clean the break. I can reproduce a new one off the original. info@shootersden.us

Tom Mc
Shooters Den of Georgia
Watkinsville, GA
706-310-1234
Old 06-16-2021, 11:58 AM

Tom - I sent you a pic at the bottom email address
Old 06-17-2021, 07:58 PM

Very sorry to hear about the damage to your friends Cooper, Ken.

I'm having a very hard time understanding just how AA can dispute the claim, as it appears the rifle was in one of the very best hard cases that can withstand abuse far in excess of what the gorilla baggage handlers usually cause.

It would have taken one h-ll of an act of violence to break a rifle stock encased in a SKB case!

Another reason I refuse to fly if at all possible. Besides, when I hit the rat patch, the amount of gear taken would almost fill a C-130!
Old 06-17-2021, 10:29 PM

Rick - AA disputes a damage claim after 24 hours have passed and due to travel times, it was a few days before our cases were even opened… No damage on the SKB cases makes me suspect it was a hard slam on a flat surface that caused the break. But I do not know. We actually saw the gun cases being loaded on the planes and there was no obvious issue with the luggage. Only one scoped rifle on each layer with bolt open to avoid any potential obstruction. We have been doing these trips 12 years with little luggage issues other then a few scrapes and such. Being from the East, driving is such a time consuming and tiring chore, we choose to fly and rent transportation upon arrival. We see lots of gun cases and hunters especially in Denver airport where TSA does the X-ray thing with them while owners stand around and wonder what they are looking for that no other airport seems to be concerned with… Anyway, B&C came through for my buddy with a new stock on the way. Guess it is just factors into the expense of the vacation… We will see what bedding is necessary when the new stock arrives and go from there.