Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2021, 06:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

good suggestions and pretty much along my thought process. i have a small base die on the way, i will just have to pull the expande on it.
as to roll sizing i can buy a lot of lapua new brass for the price of a roll sizer.

the brass if from the police range, yesterday it was federal case day.

i'll let you know what works.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:55 PM

Just resize with a small base die.
Old 08-20-2021, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
If the brass was fired through a overly-loose chambered rifle, semi-auto (AR15) or machine gun (M16 or SAW) then you probably have expanded cases. The issue is more prominent with Semi-auto and Full-auto as the base of case expands as it is being extracted from chamber while under pressure... case head expansion.
AR's and M16's are virtually identical chambers, the only one bigger is the M249 SAW. It's made that way for extended firing and heat, so it will continue to operate under poor conditions. I have shot thousands of rounds through a full auto lower with a standard NATO upper and never had problems with brass expanding too much due to early extraction. Fluted chambers and belt fed MG's are where you'll end up with issues on brass.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Shucks Bob you should be the one giving advice.

I've only had a couple problems with .223's.

Getting enough brass.

And leaving a load chambered in a hot barrel.

I just clean, trim or check ovl then FL resize.

I did get a grain too much that stuck three in a row.

The last one bent the extractor on the Sako. Can't find new one's.

Got lucky as the smith bent it back to shape and works fine now.

Yes sir: Sooner or later things will catch up with all of us.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-20-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalacustom View Post
AR's and M16's are virtually identical chambers, the only one bigger is the M249 SAW. It's made that way for extended firing and heat, so it will continue to operate under poor conditions. I have shot thousands of rounds through a full auto lower with a standard NATO upper and never had problems with brass expanding too much due to early extraction. Fluted chambers and belt fed MG's are where you'll end up with issues on brass.
Fair Comment. I mischaracterized the Ar15/AR16 issue. If there is extended lock-up time (not enough gas or too heavy of a buffer setup) the pressure remains too high within the case and as it starts being extracted you can get case bulge/raised ridge at top of webbing.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:47 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalacustom View Post
LOL....... How time flies.

In the early to mid 1980's, fluted chambers in some 223/5.56 rifles was the solution to all kinds of issues that didn't exist everywhere. They (fluted chambers) still exist today, but not in the quantities you saw then, and today they exist with far less fanfare as the solution to everything that could go wrong than they did back then.

I started my AR adventure in the early to mid 1980's with an early slick sided/no forward assist Colt SP-1 when they first hit the civilian market, and I never had a single problem loading for it or its several followers in my gun safes. Today I have 4 AR's that all look different from each other, but they all do the same thing very reliably, and I'm still not having problems.......?

One thing I've never done is pick up 223 range brass - other than my own - as it may be someone else's solution to some problem that I don't have. And I have never bought cheap range pick up brass of unknown history on the internet. I've always bought new 223 brass when its available at a good price. I'm much older now, and the roughly 4K+ of 223/5.56 brass that I have with a known history will outlive me by a bunch of years. Likely without any issues.

JMO -BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 08-20-2021, 06:18 PM

The fluted chambers were from HK rifle and pistols, and the CETME. all of which used a roller block type action. The HKs went away when evil black rifles were banned from importing during the Clinton regime, and they were high quality and expensive.

I have reloaded 223/5.56 shot from a HK fluted chamber and have not any issues reloading them for my ARs using standard (non-small base) FL dies. My ARs are all NATO chambers.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:50 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
The fluted chambers were from HK rifle and pistols, and the CETME. all of which used a roller block type action. The HKs went away when evil black rifles were banned from importing during the Clinton regime, and they were high quality and expensive.

I have reloaded 223/5.56 shot from a HK fluted chamber and have not any issues reloading them for my ARs using standard (non-small base) FL dies. My ARs are all NATO chambers.
They were indeed expensive, even in 1980's dollars. I had a younger friend back then who bought a Valmet. He had a young family, and if it had come with a bayonet, his better half might have cut his throat with it. And the HK's were indeed the leaders. Semi-auto FN-C's were popular foreign 5.56 rifles back then too. I felt like I had robbed the chicken house with my SP-1, and its price didn't touch a Valmet or an FN

I owned a 7.62x51 caliber CETME rifle back in the 1990's when I was going through my FN FAL phase. It was a roller block action. It was a lot of fun, and it flattened a few south Texas mangy coyotes for several years. At some point I lost interest and unfortunately the rifle went down the road.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 08-20-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:28 PM

BCB, I could never afford one, but had two friends from work that were heavy into HKs and Class III items back then. Both were single, engineers, and could buy what they wanted. One guy had a HK53, a SBR in 5.56. The other guy had at various times a MP5SD, HK91, HK93, HK94, SP89, and a Steyr AUG (5.56 and 9mm barrels), all of which were Class III. Then later he got a Barret M82A also. Those were fun times shooting with those guys.

They both had HKP7's for carry guns, and even convinced me to get one when I ran into one used. Still have it, love it, and they are now about the 4-5x the price, since they are now out of production.

Last edited by TinMan; 08-20-2021 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-20-2021, 08:51 PM
Supporting Member

Ahhhhh.............. To be young and agile again.

I enjoyed the miliary-style rifle combat shoots every third Sunday afternoon of the month at the Caprock Shooting Range near Notrees in West Texas. Now I'd need oxygen and a standby ambulance to run, uh....to briskly walk, the course.

-BCB