Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-22-2021, 04:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Ahhh shuck you guys with these toys that do it for you

lose all the experience and fun of learning how to judge

range by just shooting at 'em. PRACTICE, that's what it

takes. Doing so will make you a much better hunter when

the time comes you can't use those gadjets.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-22-2021, 04:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Ahhh shucks you guys with these toys that do it for you

the time comes you can't use those gadgets. Then what

are you gonna do? MISS I'll bet.

Ken158: yep, prairie doggin is the very best teacher of
judging range. Dad and I used to shoot 'em for a few
weeks just before hunting season with our big game
rifles. Even a few each with his .375H&H. That's the
very best shooting practice there is in my opinion.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 08-23-2021 at 03:29 AM. Reason: more bs
Old 08-22-2021, 01:34 PM

PD shooting is different then other shooting because you are usually on a table with all the goodies close at hand. I have binoculars, rangefinder, ammo, water bottle, sweat rag and whatever all within reach. That gives thought to a range finding set of binoculars as being an asset. On my annual PD safari in 2019, we had a bad weather day and took a trip to Scheels for something to do and tested a variety of such binoculars. Very interesting fact finding mission as some of the high $$$ models did not have the features or the brightness I would want sitting on the prairie searching for dogs. Hands down, the Leica Geovid was the best but financially out of reach but my buddy did take a fancy to the Nikon which out performed other name brands and they were purchased. We skipped the 2020 safari but went again in May 2021 and the Nikon worked well. One note is depending on the terrain, once you get past 500 yards or so, it is often tough to find an object to reflect the laser for a reading. I went another route and bought one of the Burris Eliminator scopes with the built in range finding and enjoyed it but again, after about 500 yards, bouncing a laser off a dog or even a mound is tough but if you can find something close to your target that will reflect, you will be fine.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Ahhh shuck you guys with these toys that do it for you

the time comes you can't use those gadgets. Then what

are you gonna do? MISS I'll bet.
I can't estimate the difference between 545 and 560 yards. if you miss by10 yards at that range it can be a miss. I use the moa hash marks a lot for ranging Pdogs on flat land.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:37 PM

Thumbs up Yep.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I can't estimate the difference between 545 and 560 yards. if you miss by10 yards at that range it can be a miss. I use the moa hash marks a lot for ranging Pdogs on flat land.
You and me both!

In fact.....on flat terrain.....I'm unaware of anyone that consistently can. Even through spotting scopes and binoculars, the depth-of-field is flattened tremendously. What one would "think" is a nearby bush/mound.......isn't!!

Hence...over the years....coincidence rangefinders, reticle subtensions, MOA dots/hash marks, etc. have been used/developed. Now(since the late 90's)....digital rangefinders.

Long ago...after I caught the PD "bug".....I decided I needed something much better than my old Ranging 1000.
Considering all the time(years), effort, trips, costs, etc......I knew a very good rangefinder could be justified.
Soooooo........here we are.

Now........WINDAGE..........there's a life long learning experience.
I recall learning more, on the first day of a PD trip, than I ever "thought" I knew.

Kevin
Old 08-22-2021, 04:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

george know where i used to shoot p-dogs and when . no rangefinders back then. walk the town and put out surveyors tape evet 50 yards in the charro cactus. served as range finder and wind flags.
you learned to walk the bullet in if you missed the first time. george we are dinosaurs.

really haven't needed a rangefinder for p-dogs for 20 years but i do have a leupold rx-1600i tbr/w, say's sub 1/2 m.o.a at 600 yards. not sure what that translates to.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:07 PM

Kevin, I know exactly what you mean, and it takes an hour so to remember lessons from years ago. My first PD trip was with Heck and Vince, I used Vince's Geovids, and it was a revelation. I couldn't justify Geovids, but I got Leica 1200 Scan instead.

Windage is another learning curve, especially in the PD fields. I remember one trip shooting my 17 Remington and having to walk in some mounds around 300-350 yds. Turns out I had to crank in 19 inches of windage to get regular hits. Winds
were terrible that day.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:42 PM
Supporting Member

Wind seems to be a given just about anywhere you shoot pd's.

I've shot them in Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, and Texas, and calm days in any of those locations came a lot less often than windy days did.

The worst day I can remember was in the Texas Panhandle in the late 1990's in April. My son was home from the Army for several weeks so we headed north on a Sunday. We shot a few late that day and the next day, Monday, was cold and overcast with winds in the 30-40 mph range as a Blue Norther blew through the area. It was a challenge, to say the least, with the wind and dust both being constant all day. A range finder was useless that day. The next day was sunny and in the 80's with just a light wind and with pups all over the mounds. That day we shot until almost dark. Life in the Texas Panhandle in the springtime......... Or later in the summer farther north......

George, I noticed that a bunch of us have been here since Sept. 2006 - five of us on this page today. That must have been the last of several server crashes that required that we re-register each time.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot Oklahoma..... But I do remember that the wind blew there too.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 08-22-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:16 PM

I have a pair of the Leica Geovid 10x42 HDb range finding binoculars. It was definitely one of those buy once, cry once purchases. I use them for everything I hunt and swear by them.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

bcb you are correct on 2006, been here since the mid late 90"s