Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-05-2021, 01:19 AM

Default Antelope fun!!

Took my 9 year old out goat hunting this weekend and he got a nice goat at 750 yards. It’s amazing how much the equipment to be able to shoot that far has changed since I was his age. For me anyway. When I was that old 200 yards was a long shot. Anyway we had a blast and he started the day off with a young coyote pup. You have to click the links to see the pictures https://ibb.co/1LjNDr0
https://ibb.co/BqJzZZw
https://ibb.co/hsbyx7T
https://ibb.co/HN5vXw2

Last edited by Rocklong; 10-05-2021 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:43 AM

Default Hunt

Nice pronghorn and coyote!
Old 10-05-2021, 03:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Where?

Fine goat.

IMO mighty irresponsible shooting that far at game.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 10-05-2021, 03:30 AM

Awesome. Congrats on the hunt.

Don't listen to haters. There are a lot of people who can consistently shoot well enough to take game way out there. And yes I agree that technology has really changed the long range came. Laser rangefinders being a huge part of that.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:56 AM

Big time change in gear. That gun can shoot less than 1/2 moa and he can bang a 12”x12” plate shot after shot at that distance so I wasn’t to worried about wounding it.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklong View Post
Big time change in gear. That gun can shoot less than 1/2 moa and he can bang a 12”x12” plate shot after shot at that distance so I wasn’t to worried about wounding it.
The things we do for our kids, Good job dad, My kids started fishing with rod and reels that cost 200.00 me 9.95 Their first guns 500.00 used me 65.00, Their first day of practice before the first real ground squirrel hunt, went from 100 yards DAD this is boring to 400 yards with smiles, If I had this stuff when I started wow..... Keep up the shooting young man !! And hopefully pass it on to yours one day, Just no self guided laser beams
Old 10-05-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiesrevenge View Post
Awesome. Congrats on the hunt.

Don't listen to haters. There are a lot of people who can consistently shoot well enough to take game way out there. And yes I agree that technology has really changed the long range came. Laser rangefinders being a huge part of that.
I agree and am surprised that anyone on this forum would balk at a 400 yard shot at a goat when they themselves shoot prairie dogs at twice that distance. Age of the shooter may be a consideration but proven performance should trump age.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken158 View Post
I agree and am surprised that anyone on this forum would balk at a 400 yard shot at a goat when they themselves shoot prairie dogs at twice that distance. Age of the shooter may be a consideration but proven performance should trump age.
Very well stated, Ken. Bill K
Old 10-05-2021, 10:49 PM

Default It wasn't an ethical shot

If a hit on a 12x12 plate is the standard then the 1st shot was a miss. I can clearly see that the 1st shot hit the ham and wounded the antelope. You ham shoot an antelope and there isn't a whole lot of meat left.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:54 AM

All I can tell from the photo is a hit slightly forward of center, which would knock any Pronghorn off it's feet and do the job.
I don't see any other entrance or exits from these photo's. There appears to be some blood smearing, probably from dragging and set it up for the photo's./
Looks good too me, for this young man.