Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-26-2020, 11:51 PM

Default Have the itch for a new rifle ! At least new to me

Build or Buy ????
Anyone selling any interesting 17 or 20 caliber rifles ? Seems like I am way too slow to catch any in the classifieds !
Or I could build something . Was thinking an older Sako action or maybe one of the newer custom actions . Any ideas or suggestions ?
A switch barrel maybe ???? Probably would prefer a repeater . Main use would be varmint/predator hunting in Ohio and Pa . Some paper target hunting too .

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated ! Would like to hear any and all opinions .

Thanks !!!!
Old 10-27-2020, 03:44 AM

If you want to build. Work up a 20 VT or 20 VTT and be happy.
If you want to buy. Purchase a 204Ruger in something like a Tinka or CZ and be happy. Both would serve you well as a varmint rifle. The smaller 20's would not heat as fast, if you were to do a lot of ground squirrel/PD shooting. Just a thought or two for you. Bill K
Old 10-27-2020, 05:17 AM

A Sako A1 or L461 in a 17 Mach1V
Old 10-27-2020, 05:29 PM
Supporting Member

Beg, borrow a 20VT and shoot it before building. The 32 Grain Sierra BK is tops in mine. I have had a 17 fireball and the 20VT has out performed it in my opinion.
Rider
Old 10-27-2020, 10:33 PM

Default New rifle

I’m with rider above.
I’ve had several built on the small sako action.
Hard to beat the 20 VT in my view.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:22 AM

Watch gunsamerica for a Cooper, either Varminter or Classic depending on your tastes. They show up at fairly reasonable prices from time to time - a gently used one would likely be less than building one.

drover
Old 10-28-2020, 12:23 AM

I have a very nice older Remington 700 BDL in 17 Remington that I have been thinking about selling that is in excellent condition. If you are interested in it PM me.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:48 AM

Default A lot depends...

Will this rifle be used mostly for colony varmints or predators?
Aaron’s thoughts intrigue me,I happen to think everyone should have at least one 20VT,but he got me thinking and he must have a good reason to suggest not starting with a 20VT.Perhaps a longer case to feed in a repeater,maybe a 204 Sako Varmint.Maybe a 20BR on a BAT,the sky’s the limit here and that’s why this hobby is the bestAfter rereading the ops post I like the idea of finding a Sako in 204 the best.
Matt

Last edited by 17VLD; 10-28-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:56 AM

If you have a 223 laying around you don't use much, put a 20P barrel on it and go to town, making brass is easy, a bit time consuming but if retired, it's a good way to spend some time in the cave.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:22 PM
Supporting Member

Well Matt, I guess that I might be similar to Aaron in the fact that I don’t own a 20 VT and never have. That said, I’d still do one in a heart beat if money was boo an issue. I went with what you might want to call a 20-221 or 20VT Imp.

I have over 60 sets of dies and so custom dies are not a friend to my wallet. At one time I wanted a dedicated set of dies for each Wildcat. Today if I had to back up in time most of my Wildcat’s would be on a shared die program. Example and I may have others but off the top of my head-

6BR-20BR
223/20-practical
222/17-222
17&20 Killer Bee (custom but shared)

So a 20 spec’d out around a 221FB would interest me. Not sure how much accuracy/performance difference there would be but I’d probably change it based on my experience with the ones listed. But I couldn’t say to never build a 20VT. A guy needs to do what his heart is telling him to do at the time. Or you may regret it.

I’d love to sell off one of mine. But it’s not easy for me to let go of what has been some of my best memories that came from here. Sorry