Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 06-06-2021, 07:27 PM

Default Wanted: Hornady (non Moly) 58 gr. .243 Z-Max bullets.

Please let me know if you have at least 100 or more you would part with.

At this time I am only interested in the Z-Max not the V-Max.

Thanks !
Old 06-06-2021, 10:26 PM

It's real easy to remove the moly coating if you want to or find them coated.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:41 PM

I'm still looking for these and am hoping that someone might some stashed away that they are no longer using.

Thanks !
Old 06-13-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARW View Post
Please let me know if you have at least 100 or more you would part with.

At this time I am only interested in the Z-Max not the V-Max.

Thanks !
You do know that the Z-max and V- max are the same bullet, just the yellow tip for the Zombie craze and marketing, at the time. Where as the v-max has the red tip. Per Hornady they are the same bullet, other than the tip color. Just a thought.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
You do know that the Z-max and V- max are the same bullet, just the yellow tip for the Zombie craze and marketing, at the time. Where as the v-max has the red tip. Per Hornady they are the same bullet, other than the tip color. Just a thought.
The Ogive is different on them. My measurement from Ogive to base from the lands is 2.792 on the Z-Max and the same measurement on the V-Max is 2.752. This is on my 6BRA.

In my rifle the Z-Max 3 shot groups are .2 to .3 pretty consistently and with the V-Max they are .4 to .5. Not a really big difference but enough for me to want the Z-Max if I can find them.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:38 PM

Whatever.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:25 PM

ARW. You may need to look at individual lots of bullets or manufacture dates to get what you want. Years ago when I shot DCM/High Power, I used a lot of Sierra SMKs and found the the OAL of the bullet varied even as much as 0.010", even for the SMKs. There is manufacturing variability in all products.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:39 PM
Supporting Member

If you take a tour of Hornady bullet making, multiple presses can be dumping bullets in same pot. Sierra did sell some of their Match bullets that only came from one press. And they still varied.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:26 PM

Default vmax vs. zmax

I know that hornady says they are the same, hell I grew up 30 minutes from the plant and toured it several times.

All I know is that when I developed a load with Vmax bullets in my .204 and .223 (32 and 50gr respectively) that shot from 1/2 in to 3/4 inch consistently, then switched over to Zmax, it wasn't even close.

I tried all the variables. I called hornady they said they were the same. I borrowed 50 Zmaxes from a buddy in .224 and tried his lot (they were different).

I'm not saying a 3/4" group started to shoot 1". It was like I couldn't keep them under 2 inches.

I know others that have taken a Vmax load and went to Zmax with no issues, but there is something different in some. Not sure what it is, but I tested many different things and the measurements on the Zmax wasn't consistent where the Vmax were. My conclusion is that the Zmax is Vmax's gone a little bit wrong. Seconds, in other words, that they threw a yellow tip in.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:46 PM

Good news and bad news.... I have 300+ 58 gr. Vmax bullets that I can let go of, as I like the 65 gr. bullets better. The down side is that 75 are plain and all the others are moly coated.