Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-20-2021, 10:58 PM

Default Range finding Vinod or just range finder??

So I’m planning my first prairie dog hunt again for May 2022.
Looking for your thoughts on which is better the range finder or the combo with the binoculars. I realize the price difference what are the other goods and bads to each. Also thoughts on what make and model you prefer and why.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance

Kevin
Old 08-20-2021, 11:20 PM

Spend as much as you can afford.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:57 PM

I saw this review a little while back and thought... I need one of these. Here's a good rangefinder at reasonable price... $500 out to 3000 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiADoWnnrqg&t=852s
Old 08-21-2021, 12:38 AM

Default P Dog Ranging

I've used both.
I've used a Sig 2000 for about 4 years now...they work well for me Simple, fast with out a lot of screen clutter .... reasonably priced.
This year I used a friends Vortex ranging binoculars...They are really nice if you have the money. Its nice to have the extra magnification the binocs provide vs the low power of the reg rang finder. A lot more efficient that you can find targets, range and spot for your buddies all at once.
I've also used range finding reticles like Leupold varmint reticle...don't care for those myself.
I don't range dogs that much as most shots are inside 325 and most my rifles/scopes are set up for almost point blank to 300.
I spend a lot more time trying to figure out windage than elevation ... that wind is fun and frustrating at times.
Enjoy your new dog towns!
Old 08-21-2021, 12:41 AM

I use a Sig Kilo 2000 range finder which was not that expensive, but fantastically accurate. It is combined with some middle quality Bushnell 10x42 binoculars. My I'm in Canada, but the combo would have been about 600 US dollars. My wife uses higher end Vortex binoculars, which I am quite impressed with. I think the separate Bino/Rangefinder system is less convenient to use but much more versatile. I also use a higher end Bushnell spotting scope for long range, portable rest based shooting.

Last edited by Wiserfool; 08-21-2021 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:58 AM

If you got the $$$ get the rangefinding binos. Swaros, Ziess or leicas. I have the swaros and ziess. Prefer the ziess but that’s just my eyes.

Save yourself the time of finding with binos then trying to find with the rangefinder.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:12 AM

Quite some time ago I bought a leupold range finder when they first appeared in Australia, only good to 400-500m but so am I
Old 08-21-2021, 09:20 AM

Lightbulb For PD's..........

I suggest getting a rangefinder with the finest beam divergence that you can "afford".
Small targets at long range, across level ground.........makes accurate ranging difficult.

Pictured, is my old Leica Geovid 7x42 set-up. It's beam divergence is 0.3 milliradians vertical by 1.5 milliradians horizontal(edit: Note...the furthest individual PD, not the mound, I ranged was 630 yards).
Years later I found a Leica Vector 21 w/ 3x optical boost( beam divergence: 0.4 milliradians vertical by 0.7 milliradians horizontal......the narrowest beam available, that I know of).

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Gullette; 08-21-2021 at 10:45 AM. Reason: add edit
Old 08-21-2021, 02:34 PM
Supporting Member

Most binoculars only display the range in the right eyepiece. If you are left eye dominant like me that won't work well. Sold my Geovids and went back to the 1600 CRF Leicas. 7x24, excellent glass, much smaller and lighter to carry. Unless I am glassing all day I now use the CRFs instead of binoculars and have for nearly 20 years.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:58 PM

2nd the flat ground small target issue with laser rangefinder, a camera mount for holding steading while taking a reading is important. I have a Sig 2k and would like to try the Sig ranging binoculars.