Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 08-04-2020, 06:12 AM

Default Berger bullets and using Lee die 204 ruger

I use Lee die to load 35 and 40gr Berger. But some times it messes the point up. If I goto the RCBS 204 ruger Competition set will it fix my trouble?
Old 08-04-2020, 11:14 AM

I use the Redding competition die with both of those and most other brands of .20 caliber bullets without issues.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:55 PM

I have RCBS, Redding and Whidden dies, for my various 20 calibers. No issues with any of them.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:40 PM

You need to look at the shape of the tip of the bullet and the shape of the seater rod. Some folks have experienced tip deformation on the bullets when seating very frangible small bullets, like .172 VMAX and even some of the HP bullets.

One trick is to use some steel filled epoxy like JB Weld to fill in the seater tip, and using a bullet greased with some case lube, gently insert the bullet into the glob of JB Weld, gently remove the bullet and let the epoxy dry. That creates a seater tip that has the shape of your bullet of choice.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:53 PM
Supporting Member

Tinman, in addition to fitting the seating stem to the bullet using epoxy. You might want to drill a 1/16'' hole in the very tip. this allows for variations in bullet tips. Especially the plastic tip bullets.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the additional detail. My Hornady dies have that feature, but the angles were wrong for the 17 cal VMAX, hence the need to reshape. As longer low drag bullets get even longer and more tapered, might start doing it for other calibers.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:31 AM

Should I just use a different brand dies? I have 2 sets Lee collet 204 die set. I have Redding 204 die set. I have a rcbs 204 ruger Competition die set on it's way. I run into the trouble with nosler and v max in my 22 250 also. It left mark's around tip of bullets.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:30 AM

How much neck tension does your brass have? If you have to press very hard to seat a bullet any brand die could cause a ring. You may also want to just polish the spot where the ring is in the seating stem. If it is the very tip only then the other previous suggestions are good ones.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit_master View Post
Should I just use a different brand dies? I have 2 sets Lee collet 204 die set. I have Redding 204 die set. I have a rcbs 204 ruger Competition die set on it's way. I run into the trouble with nosler and v max in my 22 250 also. It left mark's around tip of bullets.
A couple things to try, put some Hornady die lube on a q-tip and lube the inside of the neck or use Imperial dry neck lube to the inside of the neck and then seat a bullet. This may help but if you still get the ring, it's too much neck tension. Pull the bullet, resize and seat a bullet dry and see if you still get the ring.

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 08-05-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:09 PM

Thanks everyone I got my 204 ruger Competition die. It was used. But it dont look like it has been used much. I paid 25.00 for set shipped. Got it in the mail . The man sent die set 45 pieces of brass and a 204 ruger snake bore cleaner. I stuck gold on that deal. I need to read booklet more offen. I couldn't find a shell holder too work. I thought the extended shell holder was part of the inside of the die. I like how the window it has.

Last edited by varmit_master; 08-07-2020 at 05:23 PM.