Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-07-2021, 04:32 AM
Supporting Member

Default Buyer beware Neil Jones just raped me

$729 for two FL dies plus a set of 8 forming bushings that can be used with either die.

I don’t know how to post photos here but I have on FB reloading and gun groups.

Frosted brass must be the new look now a days.

Misspelled my name on the 17 WenZl die.

Oh and the die will not adjust down far enough to cam over using the Hornady LnL bushings.

I called him to see if he could turn about .060” off the shoulder of the OD of the body and maybe redo the name.

I was told over and over there is no issue with the die, it is the junky hornady press. And although at first he did try to deny it, he finally did say that he goofed on the name. BUT he will not help me resolve any issues.

It’s the first time in my 60 years of life that I remember anyone treating me as Neil did me today.

Neil Jones has been a trusted name in his line of work. But NeiL cannot be trusted anymore. Except to take your money. I told Neil I would post a few places to warn other Hornady users and save him the grief of going through this again since he wasn’t open to at least putting a disclaimer on his website that his dies will not work with Hornady presses.

Neil did say that I was the first one who ever had this issue with his dies.

My goal is to eventually trash them because every time look at them it really hurts. I will send my fired cases to Hornady where I should have gone right away.

Neil did get 17 Jet spelled correctly and on my invoice it’s 17 WenSEl

Two sides to every story snd this is my side. No reason to trash talk NeiL, only presenting the truth as I honestly know it. I’m not bitter over the >1year wait, or his price gouging. But I am hurt over the way he spoke to me and lack of trying to resolve my issues and the poor craftsman ship. I can’t hit on him for spelling cause I can’t spell but for $729 I think I could have got this right.

Lastly there is nothing custom about Neil's custom dies cause you get what he wants to give you and that’s it.

The guy is in his 80s and I don’t want to be hard on him. But don’t want others to feel what I am feeling right now.

Have to see if I remember my password to a few other sites like 6mmbr.com to compete my rounds.

Last edited by GLWenzl; 01-07-2021 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:59 AM
Supporting Member

Yes, that price was agreed on. I am sorry I didn’t make that clear.

In the beginning it was not that much, but after about a year when he called me that he was getting started on it to discuss, I did as he recommended and decided to spend the money. To me this wasn’t just another set of dies but something I was proud of and wanted to see it stay in the family.

To be clear, I am not unhappy with his price.

I do believe Neil can fabricate a quality product.

I just do not trust NeiL to deliver a quality product that he can stand behind. If Neil makes a mistake such as misspelling the name it’s not his fault and he will NOT only stand behind it, NeiL will NOT even attempt to help you with a solution to correct the problem.

Sorry he did offer one solution, and that was for me to purchase an extended shell holder.

I do not trust NeiL to make a quality die that will work with every press, especially a Hornady press.

I do not trust NeiL to own up to his mistake, NeiL will do his best to blame everyone or everything else. Some how none of this was his fault.

I really am not trying to beat up or get revenge on an old man. I’m doing what I told Neil I would do and sharing my experience to save someone else from a bad experience, save Hornady customers the trouble it to disclose Hornady press up front because I believe NeiL might make a for a Hornady press but I ASSUME it would cost more. And to save NeiL from having to make excuses and run other people, other companies and other companies products in the ground when not truly at fault.

For non Hornady people and to be clear, I have used the following dies on both of my Hornady presses

Redding
RCBS
CH4D
Hollywood
Lee
Pacific

The only die that I am aware of that will not work on a Hornady press is Neil Custom Products and to me there is nothing CUSTOM about Neils products.

I was willing to pay extra to make his die for my press and HOPING he would offer to correct the spelling on his time. There was no way NeiL was going to alter or change this die. You get what you get.

I did not even get a chance to tell Neil about the frosty brass. I was afraid to even bring it up at that point because of how defensive he was and how he defended what was wrong.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:14 AM

I'm curious as to why he wouldn't refund your money? I know there are customers from hell but sometimes one just has to eat the loss. For the old timers, this is the Amazon world we are living in. Don't like it, it doesn't work, wrong size, poor quality, just about any excuse, you return it and get your money back. Having said that, the numbers of skilled craftsmen are dwindling every day.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:46 AM

Have you tried the dies with an extended shell holder? It's common to have to use one with smaller cases. The Lock-N-Load bushing effectively compounds the problem as they raise the die further than a conventional press.

An extended shell holder is likely all you need.

Good shootin'. -Al
Old 01-07-2021, 01:33 PM
Supporting Member

Default Neil jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
$729 for two FL dies plus a set of 8 forming bushings that can be used with either die.

I don’t know how to post photos here but I have on FB reloading and gun groups.

Frosted brass must be the new look now a days.

Misspelled my name on the 17 WenZl die.

Oh and the die will not adjust down far enough to cam over using the Hornady LnL bushings.

I called him to see if he could turn about .060” off the shoulder of the OD of the body and maybe redo the name.

I was told over and over there is no issue with the die, it is the junky hornady press. And although at first he did try to deny it, he finally did say that he goofed on the name. BUT he will not help me resolve any issues.

It’s the first time in my 60 years of life that I remember anyone treating me as Neil did me today.

Neil Jones has been a trusted name in his line of work. But NeiL cannot be trusted anymore. Except to take your money. I told Neil I would post a few places to warn other Hornady users and save him the grief of going through this again since he wasn’t open to at least putting a disclaimer on his website that his dies will not work with Hornady presses.

Neil did say that I was the first one who ever had this issue with his dies.

My goal is to eventually trash them because every time look at them it really hurts. I will send my fired cases to Hornady where I should have gone right away.

Neil did get 17 Jet spelled correctly and on my invoice it’s 17 WenSEl

Two sides to every story snd this is my side. No reason to trash talk NeiL, only presenting the truth as I honestly know it. I’m not bitter over the >1year wait, or his price gouging. But I am hurt over the way he spoke to me and lack of trying to resolve my issues and the poor craftsman ship. I can’t hit on him for spelling cause I can’t spell but for $729 I think I could have got this right.

Lastly there is nothing custom about Neil's custom dies cause you get what he wants to give you and that’s it.

The guy is in his 80s and I don’t want to be hard on him. But don’t want others to feel what I am feeling right now.

Have to see if I remember my password to a few other sites like 6mmbr.com to compete my rounds.
If you used your credit card , for payment ? the card company may be able to help you.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:10 PM

Default N. Jones

Thanks for the heads up on his performance.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:25 PM
Supporting Member

Yes that is only only help I got from Neil was to buy an extended shell holder.

Also doesn’t fix the big problem the miss spelled name. I think I found a laser engraver guy just need to get the machine work done now. If the combine cost is too much I will just have Hornady make one I can happily hand down to the next generations

That said, I very Respectfully but completely disagree with your comment about extend the shareholders being very common for smaller cases. There must be a reason they make extended shareholders but I have never owned one in 40 years of reloading. I have form and reloaded a larger quantity of cases including the following-

17 squirrel
17CCM
17 short CCM (about the size of a 17 HM2
5mm mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
Have you tried the dies with an extended shell holder? It's common to have to use one with smaller cases. The Lock-N-Load bushing effectively compounds the problem as they raise the die further than a conventional press.

An extended shell holder is likely all you need.

Good shootin'. -Al
Old 01-07-2021, 02:26 PM
Supporting Member

Actually I didn’t request a refund because I didn’t want to beat the guy out of any money and all I really wanted was what I paid for. I honestly just want him to help me figure out how to fix the issues. There is no fixes for NeiL other than an extended shell holder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
I'm curious as to why he wouldn't refund your money? I know there are customers from hell but sometimes one just has to eat the loss. For the old timers, this is the Amazon world we are living in. Don't like it, it doesn't work, wrong size, poor quality, just about any excuse, you return it and get your money back. Having said that, the numbers of skilled craftsmen are dwindling every day.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:28 PM
Supporting Member

You’re welcome and it’s hard thing for me to do.

But I’d be very upset with myself if I found out somebody else went there and done the same thing I went through without me at least giving a heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on his performance.
Getting help now days isn’t like it use to be LOL I did manage to post some if the photos hete

http://www.varminter.com/forums/topi...tom-made-dies/

Hopefully someone here can still help me figure out how to post photos. It’s the only reason I don’t come here very often in the recent years.

Last edited by GLWenzl; 01-10-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
I very Respectfully but completely disagree with your comment about extend the shareholders being very common for smaller cases. There must be a reason they make extended shareholders but I have never owned one in 40 years of reloading.
It all depends on the press dimensions. For example, in one of my presses, I needed them for the .17 Javalina, 221 Fireball and 17 Mk4. In another one, they aren't required.

Why not try an extended shell holder and make sure the dies work in your press? If so, get back with Mr. Jones and address the lettering on the dies. I'd bet a solution would be easily reached.

If for some reason you don't want to buy an extended shell holder to try, I'm sure I have an extra I can send your way. -Al

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 01-08-2021 at 11:19 AM.