Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 08-19-2018, 04:50 AM

Default aftermarket sights

Well I like iron sights on a rifle. Just not many rifles come with usable iron sights. Never understood the reasoning behind a company that built a gun chambered in an 800 yard cartridge, say .308 Winchester, and then put shot gun sights on it, think savage hog hunter.

Ive seen photos of what is supposed to be a steyr scout rifle, with a stock and handguard that is completely railed for accessories, and the funny thing is that is has a flip up set of plastic sights for AR on it. Im just courious how that would be accurate past 100 yards.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:08 PM

Default Sights

Target sights are still available. Good ones are not cheap. Scopes and electronic sights are the norm now for most shooters. Many rifles do not even have barrel drilled and tapped for front or rear sight. By the time most of us in the older generations that used metal sights reached reading glasses age we had transitioned to scopes or dots. I have a box of different types of open sights, hunting and target that were pulled when optical sights replaced them. Other than handguns, shotguns, combination rifle/shotguns in over/under or cargo type guns. I dont have a centerfire rifle with open sights. Last was old lever action I let a friend have. Don't sell military type sights short, some amazing shooting has been done with them. Also have watched blackpowder shooters using the old style cartridge guns reach out to 1000 yards and do well. Those that want to shoot with iron usually find a way.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:13 AM

since scopes are the mandatory rage now, why cant a single company make a gun cabinet for under 1500 that actually holds more then two rifles or shotguns with a scope on them?

irons are rugged. But I wish I could find something decent for a ruger American predator.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:31 AM

a co-worker and I have discussed this recently. he wanted to buy one of those ruger ranch rifles (which he in turn did) but his initial hopes of finding a way to put irons on it quickly faded away.

One option I mentioned to him was to have a thread protector spun up to allow those "tech-sights" to be installed then find a way to modify a williams "guide gun sight" to mount on the action.

He decided against it and slapped on a 1-4 leupold and just keeps it at 1x
Old 08-22-2018, 05:26 PM

Default Aftermarket sights.

Skinner sights make some very nice iron sights and for various rifle/actions. You might want check out their website. Bill K