Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-25-2018, 01:17 AM

If you have IMR4198 you might want to give it a try, it worked really well in my first and my current 221FB.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:22 AM

Sorry, I should have checked my notes before posting. I did use Rem 7 1/2 primers. Out of about 30 that I shot, the majority looked perfectly normal, a couple are pretty flat, and one blew out the primer. I know everyone says you can't read pressure by looking at the empties, but one of the reasons I wanted to try it was the data showed high velocities with lower pressure.

I haven't gotten around to pulling apart the remaining rounds, but I will do that and see if there was any variation in the powder charge. I don't really expect much because I use a redding powder measure that seems pretty repeatable.

I have some RL7 so I was going to try that, but I will check out the CFE powders too.

Thanks
Jerry
Old 09-25-2018, 03:21 AM

I don't think the primer is the cause, I'd be looking at the scale/powder measure. As for primers the 6 1/2 will work in the F.B.. Here is one of the deals with primers. A lone primer has so much energy and in some cases enough to fire a bullet down the barrel or into the riffling and then getting stuck. In smaller cases a lighter primer is recommend to help prevent bullet jump which can cause pressure spikes and maybe one of the problems.
For powder in the F.B. I like to use H-335 for med. to heavy bullets and H-322 for the lighter bullets below 52 gr.'s.. good luck...
Old 09-25-2018, 07:15 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
I have had too much lot-to-lot variation with Lil'Gun, and stopped using it in small bores. I still like it in heavy loads of 45 Colt. For the 221FB, try RL7 or AA2200.
I'm with Tin Man on the AA2200, use it in a couple of my 222's also. You can have your cake and eat it too with 2200. Great accuracy and velocity...…

Aaron
Old 09-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Supporting Member

Default Lilgun

Lilgun's inconsistency is well chronicled in these pages. I stopped using it because of the wide speed discrepancy in loads. Anywhere from 100-200fps was pretty common in Hornet and Fireball loads I chrono'ed. Some swear by it, others swear at it.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:28 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Becareful chuck!!! They'll get you for saying that
Old 09-26-2018, 04:29 PM

I agree with the too large ES, but for the .22H I can drop a full case, have a low psi load, "use sp primers with no psi signs" and shoot 1/2-3/4" groups at 100 yds with it. The .221 has long enough legs the ES is not acceptable, but for a .22H I just look at the groups and smile.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:49 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Here we go!!!
Old 09-26-2018, 08:39 PM

Default Lil Gun problems

While this isn't directly on topic, it is indirectly related. I haven't used Lil Gun to reload bottlenecked cartridges but I have used a bunch of it in 45 Colt and 454 Casull ammo without noticing any issues at all. In fact, it is my favorite powder for bigger bore handguns giving high velocities and very good accuracy in my revolvers.

Have I just been lucky or are the inconsistencies with Lil Gun confined to bottlenecked cartridges?

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 09-26-2018, 09:48 PM

I have not had any issues with heavy loads (30ksi) in my Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt. I have heard some comments about a bit of top strap undercutting with very heavy loads in Casull and 475 Linebaugh.