Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-20-2018, 04:16 PM

Aaron, to answer your question I do a very similar procedure to what Gary said. Put the round in the shellholder (no die installed) run it up in the press and use a pair of pliers to grip the plastic tip...then use the ram leverage to pull the green tip. Works okay. The tips for the most part come out easily. Every once in a while it snaps the tip and leaves part of it in the nose of the bullet (maybe once every 20-25 times). I've been hard headed and drilled the broken tip out...but decided it's not worth the effort (I'm only shooting jacks with this load). I haven't notice damaged jackets to any degree. They shoot fine for what I'm doing with them. Most of the jack shots are under 50 yds with occasional shots out around 100 yds. I'm only doing this for reduced lower power loads in the Mink. Full power loads are normal loading procedures. 410gauge
Old 09-20-2018, 07:20 PM

Default 17 Squirrel build help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410gauge View Post
Aaron, to answer your question I do a very similar procedure to what Gary said. Put the round in the shellholder (no die installed) run it up in the press and use a pair of pliers to grip the plastic tip...then use the ram leverage to pull the green tip. Works okay. The tips for the most part come out easily. Every once in a while it snaps the tip and leaves part of it in the nose of the bullet (maybe once every 20-25 times). I've been hard headed and drilled the broken tip out...but decided it's not worth the effort (I'm only shooting jacks with this load). I haven't notice damaged jackets to any degree. They shoot fine for what I'm doing with them. Most of the jack shots are under 50 yds with occasional shots out around 100 yds. I'm only doing this for reduced lower power loads in the Mink. Full power loads are normal loading procedures. 410gauge
Just being curious, I guess, but why go to that trouble for a decent hollow point bullet when Midsouth Shooters or Midwayusa both carry the Nosler cup/core hp's in the dogtown type bullet, that works very well in 17, 20 or 224 caliber and are cheap. save all that extra work, for a bullet, especially when you are only shooting a average of what is being mentioned 50-110 yrds. I use them in all three calibers and make good hits out to 400 yrds with them on squirrel, rock chucks and even coyotes. Just a thought. Bill K
Old 09-20-2018, 08:30 PM

Bill, to be honest, your idea makes the most sense. I'd tried several different 20 cal bullets I had on hand in the low velocity loads (1700 fps), and they wouldn't anchor the rabbits well (just punched holes through them). I had several boxes of the 39 gr Sierra...so I tried them with the tips removed after talking with Ray. Worked well at the 1700 fps in anchoring the Jacks. No particular reason other than I had them on hand. 410gauge
Old 09-21-2018, 04:56 PM

Default Here is where I would start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot907 View Post
Alright, I took a nap and came up with what I want to do, I am going to purchase a Ruger 77/17 Hornady Hornet. If it shoots 1" with reduced loads done deal, If not I have my platform for the Mink. I guess what I'm going for is HM2 performance with increased accuracy and a primer. GB here I come, It will take some time but I look forward to posting some groups. Time to read some stuff about my newest cartridge the .17 Hornady Hornet, Again thanks for all the help and advice I'm happy as a pig in poo I found this place. Bigfoot

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthr...referrerid=916

From,
17tbs
Old 09-25-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17tbs View Post
I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthr...referrerid=916

From,
17tbs
Thank you very much for the info, You have yourself a good day. Guns on the way, It's going to be a month or two before she's shooting. Baby boy due November 1st and been slammed at work no time to play until winter it looks like. Thanks again everyone, Bigfoot

Tags
17 squirrel, squirrel build