Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 08-08-2018, 06:37 AM

how big is your firing pin channel going to be? don't see how there would be any overlap at the breech face.

But if a rim fire firing pin was annealed really soft, and left in its channel when you drilled it COULD help things out. But carbide cutter in a cutting fluid bath would help.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:51 AM

Default Conversion to centerfire

Several years ago a 14 caliber was built on one and article written on it. I would probably make a new bolt end or find some one to EDM the existing. Drilling or milling over existing hole seldom works unless solid filled first. Even then if softer metal filler drill or centerless drill wants to walk off center. I would have picked a different action to convert. Something like one of the Remington that are popular for these conversions. You can do the Ruger, been done, not cheap if you are paying instead of doing work yourself.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:20 AM

if you use a bushed drill bit,,, you really don't have that effect.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHI.Warlock View Post
...wouldn't it be easier to drill through solid metal vs drilling a hole overlapping an existing hole?
Only if you want a straight hole... Any drill will want to follow the existing hole. For a short hole, an end mill could work, but not very deep. Drilling deep/small holes through hard steel is a challenge in good conditions. It just sounds like a recipe for some broken drills and scrapped parts to me. You could maybe thread a wire through the existing hole and EDM a slot to the center. Or maybe fill the old hole and drill a new one. All of that seems like it would be tricky and/or expensive. Are any of the other 77/xx bolts similar dimensions? The block out of a 77/22 Hornet is probably too long, but if the other dimensions are similar I think that would be a much easier place to start. They made other things too iirc, like a 77/44 Magnum and such. Some of those parts might be close to what you want.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:04 PM

The body of the firing pin for the 77/22 is very thick compared to the actual striking surface. There will be overlap with either a slanted channel or a straight channel.

I chose a 77/22, because I had it and found a second bolt assembly for it.

What Remington actions would you suggest? I really haven't researched many other actions for this project.

I looked into the Ruger American Rimfire, since I have one, it would take a firing pin mod and a little milling, but those firing pins are unobtainium at the moment. I guess I could buy a second RAR and just modify the bolt on it. I would really like a bolt swap to be the only thing needed to switch back and forth.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:02 PM

Default Remington 580/590 series

These were a smaller rimfire version of the 788. Calhoun at one time did conversions. Conversion instructions have been around for years. Some of the 5 mm were converted for the centerfire 5 mm. I'm sure someone on here has one of the 5 mm centerfire conversions, GaryW and could share photos. Calhoun may have instructions for conversion if he isn't too busy with his 19 calibers.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I looked up the Remington 580/581/582. The bolt face/firing pin setup is similar to the RAR. I'll see if I can find a cheep 580 or 581 to modify. If I can't, I'll pick up another RAR and use it as the base platform.

I looked up conversion instructions for the 580 and it seems pretty straight forward. Much easier than the 77/22 conversion I was trying to do.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:48 AM

Default Contender

If you are not opposed to break open single shots the Contender is not a bad way to go. They are set up to change from rimfire to centerfire very easy. Barrels can be found easy and they are usually very accurate. At one time one of my favorite things to build small wildcats on.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:35 PM

I didn't think about that either. Thanks, I'll look into those too.