Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy View Post
I have also been bitten by the 77/22 "Bug" . I have one receiver and both the Sporter stock and the laminated Heavy BBL.
The MK2 shoots 3/8 @ 50 Green Mt--the 22lr GM .920 will shoot in the .2's @ 50--Factory HB in 22 Mag 1 1/4" @ 100- Factory HB HMR 1" @ 100.

The action has had the bolt shimmed,bolt face trued and set @ .0039 and stock pillar bedded. I have not set down and figured the $$$ in this set up pretty sure I could have purchased a Sako Quad and been much further ahead.
My thoughts exactly on the Quad! It's just easier to dump $600 at a crack on a rifle VS a couple K for the whole quad set.
Aaron

Last edited by long shot; 09-09-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:55 PM

Default Rugers

Have owned several over the years. A few shot good out of the box, some required a little work, some a lot. For the rimfires that required a lot Green Mountain barrels were a huge part of the fix. For what they cost and improvement they make well worth the cost and effort. Still own a couple, one in 22 long rifle with a extra 17 HM-2 barrel. One in 22 mag with extra 17 HMR barrel. Regret letting 22 hornet go, dumb move on my part. It was one of those guns that shot good right out of the box without having to do anything to it but scope it.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

What about the ammo? You do all that work to these guns and your still shooting inconsistent factory ammo!! How the hell does that work ? Are you measuring rims weighing case on 15$ a box ammo? Please help me out!
Old 09-12-2018, 08:32 PM

Default Rim fire ammo

I like Eley for 22 long rifle and 17 HM-2 if I'm trying to shoot tight groups, but most of the rimfire shooting I do unsorted factory ammo is fine. Rugers are not first choice for match grade groups, they are hunting/plinking guns. With ammo a gun likes they are accurate enough to kill small critters.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Supporting Member

Well said and my experience is similar to yours... But my one of my 22 Hornets was the problem child. A rechambered CZ 17 Rem barrel (now a 17 AH) made it a good shooter. I always thought about rechambering the original barrel to a 22K Hornet but figured a good chance that it’d may just waste the time money (if it made no improvement).
Old 09-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Well said? He never answered my question! He went around it like a liberal democrat!
Old 09-13-2018, 06:18 PM
Supporting Member

“well said” was actually concerning his overall comments in both of his post, how it related to my experiences as well as the OT.

I didn’t mean to say anything that causes another member to make harsh, or demeaning or disrespectful comparison comments (depending on one’s POV). I apologize if my post came out wrong.

I’m not a RF guy and quit segregating ammo by measuring rim thickness or weight. But like the ORN said, Eley has been pretty accurate for the when I have shot groups.

Back to the OT, I think the OP had the Ruger assessment pretty accurately written. And the same can be said for all manufactures to one degree or another.

Last edited by GLWenzl; 09-13-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:39 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Now you're craw dad -in on me!
Old 09-13-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Factory rimfire ammo question

Sir, I answered it in first few words. Eley is one of the most consistent rimfire ammunitions made. Sorting it is a waste of time. There is enough match ammunition made by enough companies to find something you should have confidence in. For most rimfire shooting I find what the gun likes in normal ammo and shoot it in that gun. Most rimfire shooters figure out that most 22 mags are selective about the ammo they like. I own several Rugers in handguns and rifles in 22 mag, no 2 of them group the same brand and bullet weight the same. All of them have something they shoot exceptional well, and something that shoots patterns. I have owned Rugers in 22 mag that shot almost everything very good. They were the exception. Green mountain barrels have always improved the accuracy of rimfires in 17 or 22 in long rifle or mag. To me they are worth to price and well below the cost of most companies barrels. Instead of complaining about rimfires, handload and shoot a centerfire you have built or had built and have confidence in. Then if there is a ammo problem you should be able to figure out what is wrong and fix it. Nothing factory or human built is going to be perfect. Even if the gun and ammo was perfect the human shooting it is not.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:05 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Bullshit!!!!