Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-19-2018, 04:53 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot907 View Post
Thank you for all the knowledge and advice, I was hoping the squirrel would magazine feed through something but it sounds like I'm SOL. Looks like .17 or .22 Hornet is the way to go, Leaning more towards the .17 for the lighter bullets. 17 grain bullet going 2000fps is darn close to .22lr energy, It will be fun to play around with. We'll I guess no wildcat "THIS TIME", I sure do appreciate all the help and look forward to enjoying the site for years to come.

Thanks Jeff
Or... Check out the 17 mink, pretty sure it feeds reliable and is an awesome little round.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:02 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
Hey GL , you got polish sausage for fingers !!? Or you still got the hippy hippy shakes I single shot load my 77s for 22 lr up to Hornet! That's the way I shoot mine most of the time!

Your so sweet fat cat, enjoy the humor. No to both questions.

Have you ever tried to single load a short lil 17 Squirrel into a 77/Hornet action? For those who haven’t you should probably actually try it first before before becoming a SME. Single loading a 17 Squirrel was my goal... It’s no longer my goal.

Anyone is welcome to come try it out. You’re also welcome to buy that 77/17 Squirrel barrel from me (unless I punch it out to a 17 mink or a 17 HH first).
Old 09-19-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
Or... Check out the 17 mink, pretty sure it feeds reliable and is an awesome little round.
Damn you GL, I was just able to stop reading about the Squirrel finally. hahahaha

The Mink looks promising, will it feed reliably out of a Ruger 77 magazine?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:09 PM

Bigfoot907...I do know the 20 Mink will feed reliably from the Ruger 77/22 rotary magazine. I don't see why the 17 Mink (as Gary commented) wouldn't. I also have a reduced load for the 20 Mink using the 39 gr Sierra BK bullets (1700 fps) with the green ballistic tip (an idea from our fellow member ray h) pulled out. Leaves a huge hollow point and will kill jackrabbits out to a 100 yds easily. That load shoots in the .5's at 50 yds, and about 1.25" at a 100 yds. Full power loads (3200 fps) in the 20 Mink is deadly (very accurate round) to 250 yds and if conditions are decent will go past 300 yds with no problem. The 20 Mink is an extremely efficient round on less than 10 grs of pistol powder. It is by far the go to round for me on sage rats. 410gauge
Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410gauge View Post
Bigfoot907...I do know the 20 Mink will feed reliably from the Ruger 77/22 rotary magazine. I don't see why the 17 Mink (as Gary commented) wouldn't. I also have a reduced load for the 20 Mink using the 39 gr Sierra BK bullets (1700 fps) with the green ballistic tip (an idea from our fellow member ray h) pulled out. Leaves a huge hollow point and will kill jackrabbits out to a 100 yds easily. That load shoots in the .5's at 50 yds, and about 1.25" at a 100 yds. Full power loads (3200 fps) in the 20 Mink is deadly (very accurate round) to 250 yds and if conditions are decent will go past 300 yds with no problem. The 20 Mink is an extremely efficient round on less than 10 grs of pistol powder. It is by far the go to round for me on sage rats. 410gauge
Thanks 410, The Mink is sounding like the ticket, Using Trailboss for the reduced load?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:31 PM

Alright, I took a nap and came up with what I want to do, I am going to purchase a Ruger 77/17 Hornady Hornet. If it shoots 1" with reduced loads done deal, If not I have my platform for the Mink. I guess what I'm going for is HM2 performance with increased accuracy and a primer. GB here I come, It will take some time but I look forward to posting some groups. Time to read some stuff about my newest cartridge the .17 Hornady Hornet, Again thanks for all the help and advice I'm happy as a pig in poo I found this place. Bigfoot
Old 09-19-2018, 10:20 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot907 View Post
Damn you GL, I was just able to stop reading about the Squirrel finally. hahahaha

The Mink looks promising, will it feed reliably out of a Ruger 77 magazine?
Lol dang purchase mentors!! Don’t blame me, it’s these other guys here who have corrupted And innocent little farmboy.

Seriously... I just love those little 17s

Sounds like an excellent plan
Old 09-20-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410gauge View Post
How do you pull the tips without damaging the jackets?

Aaron
Old 09-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Supporting Member

Back when I pulled the tips to load them to fit a magazine (might have been a tcm?) I just ran a loaded case through a press w/no die and used a wire cutter to grip the plastic and pull the lever. The squirrel may be too short for that?
Old 09-20-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
The squirrel may be too short for that?
Extended shell holder.

Tags
17 squirrel, squirrel build