Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

Default 4.6x30mm??

(17 VHA) I was having issues with brass going all the way down to 17 so, why not just neck up to 20 caliber? Standard caliber barrels and the 20 caliber bullets in different weights are pretty easy to come by. Might be an interesting project?
Just did a couple of dummy rounds and they came out pretty easy.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 11-15-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:38 PM

Default 4.6x30mm ?

Mike. I had the same thought, while I am using and playing with the 17VHA, it works so nice, I believe a .20 cal mate, in another contender barrel would be very useful in my contender lineup/s. Just might do such, for a winter project, if MGM or Bullberry can and will chamber one. Bill K
Old 11-05-2017, 03:24 PM

The bigger expansion ratio over the 18 cal should help with improved performance if you go to 20 cal.
Ken.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Mike:
You're getting "spring back".

Just anneal them and they'll stay sized.
Do NOT quench in water though, let 'em
air cool.

Try it my way and see how it works.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Supporting Member

George:
I believe the cases DO need annealing. I don't quench. Jusy heat and drop them in a pan with NO water.
I'am working with some once fired 5.7X28mm brass. (I have a BUNCH of it) Tried making it into 17 VHA and running into nothing but problems and besides that, I'am using Lee dies that I have learned to hate with a passion!!
The 17 VHA is the problem. Dies are not easy to come by so if you have any die problems, your SOL. Stuck two cases and broke one primer pin. One die body had a bit of brass stuck at the shoulder area and I can't get it off so it marks the shoulder of the sized brass.
Messed around and stuck a case in my Redding full length as well. Rather than try to go after it with a stuck case remover, I just shipped it off to Redding. I'll let them deal with it. The primer punch was stuck in the case and rather than try to get it out and take the chance of damaging the die body, I just shipped it off. What do they call that? The better part of valor OR, just playing CYA?
Nobody lists dies so you end up on the special order list. Shell holders are another part of the problem Not too easy to get one with the proper fit. Lots of close but no cigar.
My first batch of 4.6X30MM brass was new. It sized real easy and kept you away from any initial problems and gave you a false sense of security.
When building wildcats, you expect problems to crop up but this time, I've let it get to me a bit SO, I've backed off a bit and I'll wait till my Redding die comes back from repair and in the mean time, I'll keep looking for a supplier of NEW 4.6X30 brass as well as a supplier of the proper dies and shell holders. I've done a lot of searching but no luck yet. I've dealt with Lee a bit but at times, getting your message across isn't that easy. Especially when trying to order odd ball size dies and primer punches.
I do have a message into Mic McPherson about dies and shell holders but so far,no reply back. I would think that he can't be the only one that supplies gear for the 17 VHA or could he?
The worst part? I'am trying to get away from the 17 VHA but I don't want to sell off any of my gear if it won't work "without problems" to the next guy that gets it.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 11-06-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:43 PM

You have both Redding and Lee dies and can't get a shellholder that fits? Mine work fine for most cases, but there are some that area little larger, I keep a extra shellholder around for those. Put some Flitz on one of those pieces of brass and chuck it up and spin in using your cordless drill, loosen that shellholder up some. With the different manufacturers, that little case can vary in the extractor groove dimension. Annoying ,yes, but all wildcats have there idiosyncrasies..

New brass can be had, dies are like anything else, I have Redding, Lee and CH4D, but use nothing other than the Lee Collet NS die after initial neck down and fire forming. I can get 8 firing before I have to resize. My 17 HK has a 35 deg shoulder so I get even more off that design.

I wouldn't wish 5.7x28 brass on my worst enemy. PM me if you want some new 4.6x30 brass.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:48 PM

Default 4.6x30 ??

PM sent to you Bowfisher. Bill K
Old 11-07-2017, 05:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Never been around the VHA, other than a bunch of cases that
were sent me. I have only polished them so far, they came decapped and annealed, a bit too much but, don't think that will hurt anything.
No idea what shell holder was used on them.

Have never checked the fit on the three shell holders I have yet.
Sure sounds like I need to get off my A and do so. Usually i don't mess with
loading or casting anything until winter. Then that's my full time hobby til it warms up, or I run out of brass.

Shucks, doubt I've fired 20 shots this year and those were in the shop's trap.
I have a 30 cal can Full of 17 VR's loaded and a 50 cal can 3/4 full of 5.7 brass already sized down I think, sure hope they are! Plus nearly a 1000 4.6 case's.
Doubt I'll live long enough to shoot 'em all up.

I do have intentions of loading up what bullets I have on hand this winter for the 17VR. Believe at least a thousand yet.

Close to 5000 each 38's and '40's to cast for and load too. Burned out last year on 'em. Need to figure out a much hotter load for the .40S/W's than a full case of #9s does. Those are about max for semi auto's, but, mine is a Ruger blackhawk conversion I had notions to make last year. This #9 load is a popgun load in this gun --a Very light load. I got a couple pounds of Clays for it but haven't tried it yet either.
Never run out of things to do, life gets too boring otherwise, right?

Tbs loads n shoots the vha too, he might can provide some info here.

Mike: When you get that die back. Take the button/rod and highly polish them down with 4/0, or 600ct paper.
They'll work a lot better, plus, put a touch of sizing wax on and IN the case mouth sure helps. Don't know what lube
you use, but, since Foxhunter got me onto the sizing wax things have worked a whole lot easier.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 03-11-2018 at 04:28 AM. Reason: more bs
Old 11-08-2017, 06:07 AM

Default 4.6x30 primer punch

4.6x30mm DAG cases have varied flash hole sizes. I just spun the pin in a dremmel until it slipped into the tightest ones. Also use the shell holders that do not have a priming hole in them for sizing the brass, that fully supports the case on the up stroke putting a lot less pressure on the rims.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

George:
I use Imperial Sizing Wax. Works like a dream. I might get a dent or two on the shoulders from lube buildup but I know it will blow out. It's the "not enough lube" that gets you into trouble. And it's been at least a year since I've fired a shot. I love the build but just didn't make time for the range. And the biggest problem? Going to the range by "yourself" just isn't that much fun anymore. I do miss the BS sessions. I have popped a round or two into the ground to make sure the brass fits the chamber.
One thing I've found out about the VHA, it sure would be nice in a smaller more compact action. In the Savage, that little round has a hard time finding the chamber hole. Almost not worth the effort to get that round in the chamber. Still fun to play with but lots of work to get there.
A modified rimfire type action set up for center fire or even something on the line of a Martini would be ideal. (another project to think about) I would think most any brake open type action would be better than the Savage. Even my new "20 TCM" might end up being a PITA. I'll give it more time till I know for sure. A bit fatter than the VHA so time will tell.

When I start resizing, I go after the insides of the necks with a Q Tip and Imperial Sizing Wax. Then the outsides of the case gets the finger treatment. The cases are well lubed. The 5.7X28 brass is a PITA!! I keep thinking it needs the heat treatment. It'll go in the tumbler for a good treatment.
The 4.6X30 seems to be pretty easy to work with. BIG difference between the two cases. I'll go easy and not get "too" frustrated. Mike.