Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Supporting Member

We all know "High Polished" brass just shoots better.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

They even look safer to me.
Had a friend out with his .44mag that had brass
that almost scared me to look at. Plus he loaded
'em to the max the way they felt. Typical Ruger
tiny grips I can't get ahold of. Shot the six and
quit. Those grips just don't fit my big paws and hurt
my hand/wrist when i shoot more than just a cyl full.
He wanted me to shoot his .375H&H too, but, the stock
was about 12" LOP. Way too short for me so i refused.
That brass was nasty too.

Put the big ugly Hogue rubber grips on mine and do
well with them.

Brass that's very dirty can cover up flaws. I don't
like flaws in brass very well.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-19-2017, 05:18 AM

Default Brass, polished or not

George,

Totally understand the importance of seeing the condition of the brass.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:55 PM
Supporting Member

That's one of the reasons I stick with my single stage RCBS Rockchucker press.
I'll get on a roll and punch out a couple hundred cases at a time.
Every time I touch that case is one more chance to get my eyes on it.
I would rather find a defect when it comes out of the press or being powder charged than when it's getting ready to go BANG!!
Clean brass will show defects. Dirty brass may not. I'll stick with cleaning and polishing my brass BUT, I'll be sure to check the lube.

Geroge:
I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. Not much fun at all to shoot because of the shape of the grips. Full house loads with a 250 Grain HP is killer. After a couple of shots, it's gets put away. Hand, wrist, and forearm get the crap beat out of them. I've gone to 44 Special loads when I shoot it just so I can say "I Shot It"!! And I can't sell it/get rid of it because it has my fathers name engraved on the bottom of the grip OR, it would have been gone years ago. I think a "Beasley" grip might be more comfortable to shoot?
Old 11-19-2017, 02:20 PM

I have the same problem, as I take size 15 gloves. Hate the standard Ruger BH grips that my buddy had. I went with the Ruger Bisley model and those grips work great. No problem with even heavy 45 Colt 30ksi max Ruger loads.

Nor Cal Mikie, Brownells used to sell standard and Bisley grip frames for the SBH, if you want to check them out. They aren't cheap and take some time and fitting to make it look like factory, but that might fix your SBH.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:52 AM

Default 17vha shell holder

I hope you're 17 VHA problem is resolved. If not send me a PM and I'll be glad to help.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:14 AM

Polished brass and polished die interior and some force can lead to a condition known as 'cold welding', even two dissimilar metals can join.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

the original 17 velociraptor aka (v-rap) easier to type and say was on a Thompson center using a 17 hmr barrel rechambered. I have both 5.7 and 4.6 brass I use for the v-rap. the v-rap has a slightly larger capacity than the vha. never had any problem making cases from either brass. I use a rcbs 5.7 die converted to bushing style.
there days I use the rifle mostly to shoot ground hog, armadillo's and an occasional crow.
if I were back in New Mexico it would be my go to rifle for jack rabbits and fox. my original fox/jack rifle was a cooper in 17 ccm and it did yeoman duty. the 17 v-rap/vha does the same thing as the ccm but minus the crap brass and a whole lot more velocity than the ccm.
it is said the most energy efficient form of transportation man has ever invented is the bicycle, well the v-rap/vha is the shooting worlds bicycle. where else can you shoot a 20 gr 17 bullet at 3700 fps with only 10 grains of powder.
1.5 in high sight in at that speed is 4.9" low at 300 yards and it never rises to more than 1.7" which makes hitting a target as big as a jack rabbit a snap, color me cheap when it comes to shooting jacks, got to love it.

this was me with the 17 v-raptor until I realized the die was the problem not the case.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Hey foxhunter: Thanks for the laugh with this cartoon.
I needed that relief! Cheers

Mike:
I haven't been back on here since my last post. Bunch of things I've missed commenting
about.
I don't even like the looks of bisley grip frames and wouldn't have a gun shaped like that. Just me though!

Save your bucks and get set of those big ugly black Hogue grips. They WILL cure the recoil problems for you too.
I shoot 20gr H110 with 330gr cast slugs hundreds in a session at times and no problem now just because of those
grips. Just for you, I went and looked at a new pkg of them: No part #, Just: "made for Ruger blackhawk and Single Six.

My first exposure to them. Stopped at the leather store to have something made. Got to looking in her junk box and 7 sets
of those grips for $5 pair. I got 'em all! One was for something else. I had to replace the 30 carbine that was stolen and
the last pair didn't fit. I sent them back to Hogue direct and she sent me the right set n/c, not even for postage. Bill Ruger
must have had tiny hands to come up with such tiny grips.

Back in '1958 when I first got started at 14y/o. No one we knew reloaded anything so I went at it best I could figure out from
all the bs nonsense in Herter's catalogs. I still have and use a couple sets of their $7? dies. Scales couldn't even guess close,
powder measure was even worse and static stuck the powder worse than anything I've found yet.

One of my first catastrophys was sticking a case. No way to get a stuck 06 case out of on. Vise grips, hammer ---! Don't know
how I dreamed up drilling and tapping it out. Maybe Dad had the suggestion. Anyway I drilled a block of steel and made a puller.
man that worked slick. Studying Herters books of several years had NOTHING about pulling stuck cases. I made another one up
and mailed it to them thinking I might get a few bucks out of the deal for the bright idea. Never got a reply! Sure as hell, the very
next catalog had them listed!!! Just to get even, I've made likely 100 when I got to using a lathe and just gave them away.

Judging by them adding it to the very next catalog after I'd sent one in. I've always felt that was an original idea. Unless someone
can prove otherwise I'll die with that belief.

Foxhunter had problems and believe that coating on the 5.7 cases had to be on them. When it wore off he tossed the brass. Me not
knowing about it. I put 'em in the shaker over night and it was all off when I got around to shutting it off the next day or two days maybe.
I've never had a problem other than pulling a few rims off.

At first there wasn't any brass to be found. I put a request on the old: ammobrasstrader.com site and a few others started gathering them
up for me an we swapped. I ended up with maybe 4-5000 cases, still have most, and have added more at times. No way I'll live long enough
to use 'em up now.

When I bought the Cooper VR from Bob, he included demonstrations on how to make the VR case in a Bulberry die he let go with the rifle.
Until then I was making them in 7 steps, hundreds of 'em at a batch. Not only that, I had two rifles for the same case and they didn't match.

Also, the only shell holder was the RCBS press type. He told me to grind the bottom ring off. I had a lathe by then but, it was so hard it ruined
a HSS bit at first touch. So i just got a carbide bit and cut it off. Think I've made three so far. I do wish I had one that was solid on the bottom.
AND may need to get one for the 4.6 cases I was donated.

I just haven't gotten into the mood yet to start loading or casting this year. Now it's almost spring again and I have a torn up rotator to have fixed
next month and 3-4 months later a knee replacement. Might be some rehabbing time in there yet this year.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 03-11-2018 at 05:17 AM.