Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-26-2016, 12:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default optics question

rather than fly blind i decided to ask the forum, my eyes are such i can no longer use leupold scopes. i can use scopes with an ocular focus, considering a burris 45.-14x42 predator with e-1 reticle. also may look at a good quality rimfire scope.
nikon make a m-223 on the monarch line in a 2-8x32 and a 3-9x 40 as well as the prostaff model p-22. not sure the p-22 would work well with a 17 mach 2.
your thoughts?????
Old 01-26-2016, 01:22 AM

Leupolds have a focus too. Does it not go far enough to compensate for your eyes?
Old 01-26-2016, 03:02 AM

Foxhunter,
I have been using a Leupold 3 x 9 AO for 20 years. Just had a tapered post and dot installed (for free) when the duplex broke. The Leupold competition scopes use a side focus (others too) that focus well.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 01-26-2016, 03:24 AM

With all due respect: what are you describing as "ocular focus?" Turning that rear-most concentric ring on most ocular bells is only for focusing the reticle; point your scope at a blank wall and turn quickly until reticle is sharp, then leave the H alone. Some Burrises have an eyepiece that turns when you adjust the magnification, but I think the newer Fullfields are now "normal".
A couple scopes do have parallax adjustment on the eyepiece: certain SWFA/Tasco Supersniper and Sightron SIII lines; you "focus" the scope by turning the ring where the mag. ring normally is on these fixed-power scopes. I've owned both these scopes and liked that design a bit better than front AO, but not as well as side focus.
You might post your question over on SWFA.com's Optics Talk site. They'll give you more and better info than I can.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:53 PM

Not sure I understand what your issue is. Leupold scopes can be focused, like any other scope, to the shooter's eye. Do you shoot with or without glasses?
Old 01-26-2016, 01:06 PM

Leupold scopes only? There's something else going on here. When was the last time you had your eyes checked?
Old 01-26-2016, 01:19 PM

i have 20-15 vision with glasses but i do have astigmatism and early cataract onset
Old 01-26-2016, 04:18 PM

I have astigmatism causing me to see double cross hair especially after extended shooting. I just couldn't get use to or see well through a scope with corrective glasses. I got contacts to use when shooting. Now with my Leopold scopes properly adjusted (AO and ocular), I see well through a scope with clear cross hairs.

As to having a cataract, I have no clue.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Supporting Member

Dang I might have to get a new pair contacts. I have a hell of a time sitting through a scope
Old 01-26-2016, 06:28 PM

gary, did you mean seeing thru a scope or are you really trying to sit thru one? if you're trying to sit contacts won't help.

tounge in cheek!

i guess the problem i am having with the leupolds is can't get the crosshairs and the target both clear at the same time. would think it's a scope problem if it wasn't across the board with my leoups.