Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-21-2020, 03:58 PM

The main issue with .22 WMR accuracy, is the ammo, none is made to "match spec", it's all hunting ammo. Period, end of story. It shoots well enough for killing critters out to 125 yards, which is what it's made for anyway.
The .17HMR is almost always more accurate, probably due to the bullets themselves, but they are made from the same rifles, and almost always, the HMRs outshoot the WMRs. They use the same actions, magazines, etc, only the barrels are different.
I've been monkeying around with both of them, and that's what I've distilled it all down to, anyway.
I've got an early Marlin 17V that will shoot bugeyes with the right lot of ammo, but none of the three WMRs I've had (still got one) have done anything nearly as well. My current WMR is a CZ 512 autoloader, which seems to favor the Hornady 30gr. VMax ammo (so did both of the other WMRs).
If you nose around rimfirecentral.com, it seems like that is the best ammo you can get right now, most folks seem to think it's better ammo than anything else, and it probably is, and I suspect that's because of the bullets, again, they are V Maxes (like the good bullets in the HMRs).
CCI contracts almost everyone's WMR ammo (except Winchester, who make their own), the only thing different are the bullets, so I think my theory is right.

To answer your questions, yes they are ammo sensitive, to an extent.
Most of the rifles mentioned are under $600, I paid $500 for that CZ 512, as an example.
And yes, overall, I'd say the .17HMRs are more accurate, overall, than the .22WMRs.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:19 PM

Default 22 wmr

I had an old Ruger 77 all weather stainless (paddle tail stock) that shot 1" groups @ 100 yds. The trigger was lightened to 1#. Would only work with 40 gr Winchester ammo. I decided that going to a 17hmr was a much better option for smaller groups and more usable distance. It was very wind sensitive which I always seem to encounter. The other problem shooting the 40 gr Win ammo was poor expansion compared to a V-Max bullet. Unfortunately, the 30 gr V-Max load was not accurate.

On a side note: The Ruger factory rotary magazines had great durability and
reliability.

Chuck
Old 08-21-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesasmith View Post
On a side note: The Ruger factory rotary magazines had great durability and reliability.
Agree, Chuck.

The strongest attribute to these rifles (to me) is that wonderful, flush-fitting rotary magazine. Love my 10-22's!

Although I still own 22WMR's, the 17HMR is much better suited to what I do in the field with a rimfire. YMMV