Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-28-2020, 01:56 PM

Default New to 17 HeBee-Forming Question

I just got me a 17 HeBee thanks to Cajun Blake on here. I have sent 100 pcs of brass to Todd Kindler to form but I am a little impatient and would like to shoot sometime this week. I have 17 Ackley Bee Form Die and was wondering if it could be used to make 17 HeBee? Same parent case just a different shoulder and length of neck. Last night I ran one piece of brass up into the Ackley Form Die, then ran it through my 17 HeBee FL sizer. The case looks really weird but chambered just find in my rifle. The fireforming is pretty extensive for the 17 HeBee ie: shoulder moving forward and getting blown way out. I'm going to anneal the brass before fire forming and i'm starting with NEW w-w super headstamp. Anyone that could shed some light on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2020, 02:55 PM

As long as you form the cases for a slight "crush fit" on the shoulder I don't see why your not good to go.

Ackley Bee shoulder is further toward the case head, so I'm assuming when you ran it into your form die, the die was backed off with that in mind. Thus creating a "false shoulder" in the appropriate location for fireforming.

Got a picture of the re-sized case you can post next to a virgin 218 Bee case?

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 09-28-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:00 PM

http://www.saubier.com/smallcaliber/which17.html
Old 09-28-2020, 06:50 PM
Supporting Member

http://www.saubier.com/smallcaliber/hebee.html

For some reason the pics don't show, but there is some good information...….Kiwi
Old 09-28-2020, 11:53 PM

Try the search feature on the forum. If this has been discussed, that would be the way to find it. Also could PM Gary Wenzl -- I think he has or had one of those.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:01 PM
Supporting Member

As long as it fits into the chamber, and you have annealed the case ( probably not necessary ) it headspaces on rim, 14 grs 1680 with 25 gr hp should give you a nice looking case. Tom.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:13 AM

I was thinking as long as it fit I would be good to go. I have formed a total of 5 cases. Will be testing them on Thursday. Scope doesn’t arrive until Wednesday. And Todd called me yesterday to let me know my 100 pcs were done. So with any luck I will get them tomorrow afternoon then I can compare mine to something that was done by a legend. I can’t wait to get this rifle shooting!!!!!