Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-25-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I know you use your Swift a lot but how do these work on coyotes from your 17 Rem? I'm not a pelt saver so it's not really any concern to me but I'd imagine the damage to the fur with these little bullets is next to none at all.
Not sure how the others have found on hitting coyotes with them and the 17's. But I have shot them and other 17 cal bullets on coyotes and have rarely had a exit. They blow up inside and just gel the lung/heart area.
This is with 27 Re, 17 FB and even the 17 HH and HMR.

Range will be from 40 to upwards of 150 on spotted and called yotes.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:53 PM

Default Hornady 17 cal 25 gr HP

This bullet works in my 10 twist 17mach 4 while the 25 gr V-Max never makes it to the target and that is only @ 3750 fps. Under calm conditions will get 1/2 MOA groups. Does not work well in Montana winds.

Chuck
Old 04-25-2021, 07:05 PM

Why are they not making it too target in your 1/10 ? I have no issues with a 1/9 in all my 17's, and some are pushing 3800-4000 fps. I know others use the same and they work very well in their 1/9 twists.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:27 PM

Bill K., as I recall, most 1:10 barrels won't shoot the 25 VMAX worth a darn, giving large groups. The 25gr HP shoots great in most 1:10 twists. My Shilen with a 24" 1:10 barrel will shoot the 25 VMAX, but only about 1" groups at 100 yds. The 25 HPs shoot about 0.4-0.5" for 5 at 100 yds. I think my Shilen might be slightly faster twist, or the longer barrel might help with the stability of the VMAX.

Also, I remember reading an old website a few years ago called Coyote Gods. For them, shooting coyotes with 17 Remington and a 25gr HP was the right medicine. High kinetic energy and shock to the tissues resulted in few exits. The caution was to not shoot directly to the front shoulders or high into the 'clavicle' area, whatever that is called on a canine.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:47 PM

I know that the 1/10 twist might not stabilize some, like the 25 grain. But I took it the poster meant they are coming apart and not reaching the target at his 3750 FPS.
Maybe I read his post wrong. I do know the 1/9 is a better twist for accuracy and stabiilizing better the heavier weights.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I know you use your Swift a lot but how do these work on coyotes from your 17 Rem? I'm not a pelt saver so it's not really any concern to me but I'd imagine the damage to the fur with these little bullets is next to none at all.
The 17 Rem performs excellent on coyotes with this 25 gr Hornady HP bullet as long as you stay realistic in terms of range. One reason I really favor my Swift is for those longer range shots, say in the 400 yard + category. That and the wind we get here during the winter turns the 17 Rem into a pretty short range caliber.

The 17 Rem is just not made for those ranges to effectively kill coyotes. That being said, inside 300 yards, it is a very effective bullet if you hit the heart/lungs.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
The 17 Rem performs excellent on coyotes with this 25 gr Hornady HP bullet as long as you stay realistic in terms of range. One reason I really favor my Swift is for those longer range shots, say in the 400 yard + category. That and the wind we get here during the winter turns the 17 Rem into a pretty short range caliber.

The 17 Rem is just not made for those ranges to effectively kill coyotes. That being said, inside 300 yards, it is a very effective bullet if you hit the heart/lungs.
Certainly not apples to apples but I've noticed with my 17 Hornet, the BC of these little bullets you get much past a couple hundred yards and it's like someone pulled a parachute on them.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:09 PM

Default 25 cal V-Max

Bill:

Sorry - Made a mistake - meant to say that they made a shotgun pattern in my 1-10 barrel. Had the gun built in the 90's when the 17 gr V-Max did not exist. The Hornady 25gr HP would shoot around 0.5" moa.

It had an earlier barrel that shredded 25 gr bullets that was replaced.

Chuck
Old 04-26-2021, 04:09 PM

My 9" twist CZ bl. shoots 25gr. HP's and Vmaxs into tiny groups from the .17AH, and the Pac-Nor 9" twist shoots both into tiny groups from the higher speeds of the .17Rem.
Many 10" twist barrels will not shoot the 25gr. Vmax due to it's length. This is/was common knowledge, I thought.
My old, now retired barrel making friend from up North of here told me he could gain 1/2" of twist towards the muzzle and that is why his barrels were so accurate. I assume
this 'gaining' of twist might be a reason some 10" twists actually do shoot the 25gr. Vmax, if it is driven fast enough.
The slower any given bullet runs, the faster the twist that is needed for stabilization (when at the ragged edge).
Old 04-26-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesasmith View Post
Bill:

Sorry - Made a mistake - meant to say that they made a shotgun pattern in my 1-10 barrel. Had the gun built in the 90's when the 17 gr V-Max did not exist. The Hornady 25gr HP would shoot around 0.5" moa.

It had an earlier barrel that shredded 25 gr bullets that was replaced.

Chuck
Chuck, that makes more sense, I read it the other way. A 1/9 twist seems to be the best for the 17's, with a variaty of bullet weights, for accuracy and FPS, overall.