Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-02-2022, 04:44 PM

I gotta' say...the need/obsession for a case like the Hornet to feed from a magazine escapes me.

Good shootin' -Al
Old 06-02-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
I gotta' say...the need/obsession for a case like the Hornet to feed from a magazine escapes me.

Good shootin' -Al
I'm with you on that. I have never felt hamstringed when using one of the Contenders, or my CZ with single shot adapter in it.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:51 PM

I hope one day Vudoo Gunworks will get in on making small caliber centerfire actions on a Rem 700 footprint. That way stock choices are plentiful. With as successful as their 22 rimfire is though, it may not make financial sense.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:37 PM
Supporting Member

Default Bat sv

As long as you are ok with single shot, BAT offers the SV model with a hornet bolt, and were willing to open up a hornet bolt to properly work with carbine brass. I have one for my 20/30 carbine.
Drew
Old 06-02-2022, 07:53 PM

I have James single shot follower for both my CZ 17 Hornets but once you learn the trick/s to getting a CZ 17 Hornet to reliably feed from their magazine I nearly always use the mags and hardly ever use the SS follower.

Vudoo seems to be pretty locked in on only doing 22LR, 22Mag, and 17HMR. I talked to them early on and they had no desire in even doing a 17 WSM.

RimX along with TS Customs seems to have the 17 WSM pretty well dialed in and I was once told they were possibly playing with the idea of something around the Hornet size case but I don't think it was anything actually based off a Hornet case.
Old 06-02-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I have James single shot follower for both my CZ 17 Hornets but once you learn the trick/s to getting a CZ 17 Hornet to reliably feed from their magazine I nearly always use the mags and hardly ever use the SS follower.

Vudoo seems to be pretty locked in on only doing 22LR, 22Mag, and 17HMR. I talked to them early on and they had no desire in even doing a 17 WSM.

RimX along with TS Customs seems to have the 17 WSM pretty well dialed in and I was once told they were possibly playing with the idea of something around the Hornet size case but I don't think it was anything actually based off a Hornet case.
Vudoo not wanting to do 17 wsm is due to the issues with 17 wsm ammo as I understand it. I hope one day for a small 17 and 20 caliber repeater action from centerfire from them.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:25 PM
Supporting Member

Its scattered rain here today so I stayed inside and took several pics of my A-Bolt 22 Hornet bolt face and magazine. It has a recessed bolt face with a spring loaded extractor and a spring loaded plunger extractor.

Pics of the magazine. It latches to the drop down floor plate and it is easily removed to reload. If you have a critter like that laying around posing as a paper weight, please let me know.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 06-02-2022 at 11:02 PM. Reason: picture added............
Old 06-02-2022, 09:45 PM
Supporting Member

And for my fan base here, pics of 4 of the 5 rifles that I mentioned here...........

I found a full length cell phone pose of my first 17 WSM taken a few years ago, so I dropped it in here too.

The cropped cell phone picture taken a few years back:

Pic of three other mentioned rifles taken today: L-R: Browning A- Bolt 22 Hornet (21" barrel), Ruger 77/17 17 WSM with the too short to be useful barrel, older Sako carbine 7MM Rem Mag with an 18.5" barrel. Keep in mind that the Sako is a long action Sako.........

I don't have a pic of my Ruger 17 H, and it and the first 17 WSM are @230 miles from me down country. It's not worth a 230 mile drive for a pic of it, so you'll just have to trust me to show you one later if you're still interested.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 06-02-2022 at 11:39 PM. Reason: picture added...............
Old 06-02-2022, 10:21 PM

That is interesting looking at the A-Bolt Micro Hornet bolt face. This is the first time I have seen a straight up CF push feed factory repeater for a rimmed cartridge. So, I guess it can be done with the right magazine configuration. The 60 degree locking may help it to work out. I am going to have to get my hands on one and see how they made it work. I'm thinking the extractor may be held open and ejector held back until the bolt moves forward to a certain point.

Last edited by JDHasty; 06-03-2022 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:50 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
That is interesting looking at he A-Bolt Micro Hornet bolt face. This is the first time I have seen a straight up CF push feed factory repeater for a rimmed cartridge. So, I guess it can be done with the right magazine configuration. The 60 degree locking may help it to work out. I am going to have to get my hands on oen and see how they made it work. I'm thinking the extractor may be held open and ejector held back until the bolt moves forward to a certain point.
It's a fairly simple process when you see it.

-BCB

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 06-02-2022 at 11:17 PM. Reason: removed picture, wrong post............