Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-24-2022, 04:28 PM

Default Scratches and dings

Yes I get POed when I damage a nice wood stocked gun. Most of my rifles are synthetic, so no issue there. But I have some very nice wood on shotguns. I take very good care of them.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
like you i have a friend that take the gun is a tool thing too far. he uses the rifle to push a fence down so he can get over it. he asked to borrow one of my rifle when we went hunting coyotes. i respectfully declined, "he asks why". simple answer, told him it was to save him from a bad drubbing.

In ~ 1993 was in Montana with a couple friends who were well into their 70's, I was about 34 years old and after one had a 22 that quit on him I loaned him a more or less brand new Browning 52 sporting rifle for the rest of the week. He dinged it up pretty good on his belt buckle, I got over it pretty quick and today those dings bring back fond memories.

On guns that I have refinished or stocked myself, I have had people who were reluctant to use them for fear of damaging the finish. I let them know that there is no finish on the wood, it is in the wood - every last bit that was on the wood was removed with steel wool of a 3M pad and all that is on the wood is either Johnson's Paste Wax or Ren Wax and it isn't a big deal if the stock gets scratched or dented accidently. I might get around to doing more than putting a bit of oil on it, but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath waiting for me to get around to it. Honest signs of usage just doesn't matter to me, just don't abuse it or treat it with gross negligence and it's all good.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
i owned a special cooper model 40 with exhibition wood on it, i sold it as i wouldn't take it out of the safe for fear of dinging it.
not the rifle but as close as i have come to the wood, the cooper was a little better.
That's a really good hunting stock. That would be a joy to hunt with.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:49 PM

My father passed away recently with more money in the bank then most people make in a lifetime. He never owned a custom rifle and when he did have a nice gun he didn't use it but on rare occasion to take it out and oil it. Why not own and use a nice rifle - for him it was some sense of not deserving something nice and also pride in being frugal and austere...

You have to decide whether you are a Collector or Shooter. It is a gun, not jewelry. Yes, beautiful guns are less often used Unless you make conscious choice to Use/Enjoy something that you Deserve to own. PD hunting should allow you to be careful with its handling. If need be then get a custom case and a protective cover/skin to avoid scratches and dents while in the field.

Keep in mind that the next owner could be my brother i-in-law who will place it in rack on 4-wheeler and dent the hell out of the stock before dropping it while taking a quick turn. This will all happen before he even pulls the trigger for 1st time. In short, don't assume the next guy is more deserving...
Old 08-26-2022, 03:47 PM

I was invited to go hunting with a party of guys, one of which had a Weatherby MKV in 257 Weatherby. He headed out of camp in the morning with the gun in a hard case with him carrying it like a briefcase. When l commented about it to one of the rest of the party they said he doesn't want to scratch it. My understanding is when he got to where he had a good vantage point and only then would the rifle come out of the case. I remarked that it seemed to me an awfully inefficient way to hunt and the response is that he has shot a few deer and elk over the years but has jumped many more on the way too and from his perch.

In most of Western Washington the distance you can actually see a deer or elk is under a hundred yards.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:18 PM

That is great story. My rigs are set up for where/how I will hunt. Pretty O/U shotgun is perfect for Sporting Clay Range. Spray Painted 870 is for field work. Vintage Sako for range ... CZ527 in synthetic stock good for the field. AR15 - fast shooting and horrible conditions (swamp, rain, bouncing around in a rack on a jeep).

I have worked with some incredibly wealthy individuals over the years who treat a $20K rifle like you and I would treat a rusty 10-22. I have also seen guys like you described... I would love to use the pretty guns to shoot in the field but I would rather hunt and enjoy the experience than fret and babysit.

If the concern/fear of a scratch or blemish is so overwhelming that you can't enjoy the use of the rifle then get a second rifle for field use and keep the pretty one for controlled environments (shooting off a bench).
Old 08-26-2022, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
That is great story. My rigs are set up for where/how I will hunt. Pretty O/U shotgun is perfect for Sporting Clay Range. Spray Painted 870 is for field work. Vintage Sako for range ... CZ527 in synthetic stock good for the field. AR15 - fast shooting and horrible conditions (swamp, rain, bouncing around in a rack on a jeep).

I have worked with some incredibly wealthy individuals over the years who treat a $20K rifle like you and I would treat a rusty 10-22. I have also seen guys like you described... I would love to use the pretty guns to shoot in the field but I would rather hunt and enjoy the experience than fret and babysit.

If the concern/fear of a scratch or blemish is so overwhelming that you can't enjoy the use of the rifle then get a second rifle for field use and keep the pretty one for controlled environments (shooting off a bench).
Exactly! I see some guns as simply a work of art, i wouldn't hang the mona lisa on the wall next to my dart board.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:46 PM

If you go to any decent size AKC dog show the owners of "sporting breeds" are all too happy to engage any and all in a one way enlightenment of the benighted regarding the virtues of ole Footwarmer. I dated a gal that showed Welsh Corgis and on occasion would show up. At that time I raised chocolate Labradors and four of the five chocolates in the world that had FC or FTC in front of their name was either out of my kennel or was directly out of my stock. I'm not one to watch the Olympics, but on the rare occasions that I have I haven't seen anyone built like Arnold Schwarzenegger running a marathon or competing in a triathlon. It was all I could do to hold my tongue.

My inclination is that a trip down Route 66 in most "show cars" might work out just about as well.

I remember back to the days of my youth when many of the hotshot AA Class trap shooters were shooting Souza Grade Ithaca single barrels and Hunted with high grade Winchester 21s and Beretta doubles that had a lot of battle scars on the field guns and the target guns had the finish worn through. Arnold Riegger had a pretty well used Model 12 IIRC.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:37 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ithaca Sousa

Hey now,

please show me a picture of a Sousa grade Ithaca, I would love to shoot a round of trap with that one.

Stan
Old 08-27-2022, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
Hey now,

please show me a picture of a Sousa grade Ithaca, I would love to shoot a round of trap with that one.

Stan
https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/...e-barrel-trap/