Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 AM

Default Barrel Chamber - neck diameter ??

If you don't know the neck diameter of your factory rifle (22-250 40XB) chamber, how do you determine the neck diameter? Is it as easy as measuring the diameter of a fired casing or is there neck shrinkage after firing? This is probably not the accurate/correct way to determine the diameter, but any idea how close this would be?
Thanks.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:49 AM

Default coop

Set of pin gages will do the best at nailing down a chamber neck diameter. Find a gage that barely drags in the neck. Another way less costly. Take a fired case use scotch tape. Start wrapping small pieces around cases neck. Check to see if you get a touch on the tape when inserted, when it feels like a touch measure this with a .001 mic/caliper. Rough measurements are fine using a factory chamber.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR
Old 03-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Supporting Member

If you have the ability to pull the barrel you could cast the chamber with CeroSafe, you could use the pin gauge like Mr. Perry stated, a fired case will give a close estimation of the diameter (about a .001"-.002" less than the acutall). MTC, Adam
Old 03-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

For chambers that launch .224" bullets, Varmint Al's website mentions adding .0013" to the fired case neck diameter to get the chamber neck diameter.

A side note here, my particular 22-250 fired case necks measure .254" at the case mouth and .256" at the rear of the neck, indicating a non-parallel or cone shaped chamber neck. Such a chamber neck as this might be problematic for pin gauges.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Supporting Member

Default neck size

Well, I just take some fired cases, measure them to make sure there is a gereral consensus among them, subtract 1 thou and I'm done. Basically came on this method after years of taking and measuring fired cases from rifles with known neck diameters. As for .0013, I guess that's about as close to 1 thou that these old eyes can see.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM

Default well

No, the case neck doesn't shrink after firing but it does spring back to varying degrees depending on annealing, brass hardness, etc. So, measuring a fired case is not a useful methd of determing chamber neck dimensions. The best method for most of us that don't have, or have access to, pin gauges is a chamber cast. And, no, you don't have to pull the barrel to make a chamber cast--I never have. Do a google search and you'll find out what you need to know to make a chamber cast using cerrosafe.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeL View Post
The best method for most of us that don't have, or have access to, pin gauges is a chamber cast. And, no, you don't have to pull the barrel to make a chamber cast--I never have. Do a google search and you'll find out what you need to know to make a chamber cast using cerrosafe.

I'm with ya George.

Aaron
Old 03-18-2011, 08:58 PM

Thank you for the posted information. I will use the rule of thumb +.001 to .0013 until I try a cast chamber method.