Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 PM

Question 22K Hornet FL die adjustment

Folks ,

I've got a reloading question . This is for a Bullberry 22K Hornet 20" bbl. . I was told not to set up the FL die normally , but to lower the die after normal set up and screw it down another full turn .Then remove the decap / siz. button & size a case . Insert it in barrel & it should close as if the chamber was empty .IF it doesn't close screw it down a little at a time until it does .Next remove the bbl. from the frame -seat a bullet extra long & insert it into the bbl. - continue turning the seating die down until the case is flush with the back of the barrel. Then turn it down another 1/20 turn . You should now have a case sized properly and have the c.o.l. AND I will get 20 loadings from a case . Also recommended using Motor Mica to lube sizing button.
What do youall think about this .
Thank you in advance for your time .

Soup
Old 10-30-2013, 10:31 PM

Currently, my original .22 RP Hornet brass, is on it's 18th firing, once (or is it twice now) after annealing for the first time - ever. It has been .17AH for it's 15th, 16th and 17th firings. It originally went 14 firings as a 3,300fps .22 Hornet. Now, we all know velocity comes at a price - usually and especially with the .22 Hornet case, that price is VERY short case life - what TF happened?

Is this chambering in a TC Contender? I know very little about setting up dies for loading for a TC Contender - however I loaded them identically for my friend's rifle as I did for the CZ used for all the above shooting and with identical results,- sub 1/2" 3-shot groups - every time and over 3,300fps with 40gr. Barnes HP's. All I ever sized was a bit less than 1/2 the neck length and seated the bullets out as far as possible. They didn't hit in the Contender any more than they did in my CZ. I guess they both had long leades.

Perhaps all that fiddling is necessary for the "K" Hornet- for the testing I did in a standard Hornet, it wasn't.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:41 PM

Was the Bulberry procedure intended to load standard Hornet cases when fireforming for a 22K Hornet?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:18 AM

What do you mean by "normal" set up & then turning it down another turn? If that is turning it down until the die hits the shell holder & then another turn I doubt you you be able to stroke the handle all the way & you will be stressing things a bit. Those recommendations sound a little shaky to me for your intentions. Much better & more accurate methods available for sizing & OAL. Seating depth is usually done by distance of bullet ogive to the lands. Get a caliper & measure what you have, as 1/20 of a turn is not a measurement. What is "the back of the case is flush with the barrel" & how do you determine that?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:43 AM

You can lay a straight edge across the back of the barrel to check the depth on a break action. That way, you are doing away variation in OAL from the outer edge of the rim to the shoulder.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:19 PM

The goal here is to not size the round any more than you need to. You do not want to bump the shoulder back any further than you need to. When the round is sized correctly, with the round in the chamber, with the shoulder touching, the back of the rim should be flush with the barrel. I hope this explains what you wanted to know. Ask again if it does not.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:34 PM

I'm with moorepower on this subject- you do not want to size more than necessary.

A full turn, for example, on the fireformed case off a false shoulder, is too much imho - I suggest you proceed at most, with 1/8th turns until you reach a 'flat' measurement with the steel ruler at the chamber's entrance.

Buddy of mine has a TC Contender standard .22 Hornet that would not shoot as well as he wanted. I played with it for a short period of time and found it liked the loads listed in Hodgdon's book using LG powder and 40gr. bullet- just as well as my CZ did, ie: sub- 3/4" and sub 1/2" groups at 100 meters with 15X M3200 scope.

I sized his brass no differently than my own - ie: neck sizing only - they did not get tight in 3 firings, so I wonder if they ever would. If at some point they did tighten up and need the shoulder pushed back, I suspect 1/8th turn would be all that's necessary on the die- just to 'touch' the shoulder, maybe moving it only a thou or two.

Currently, we are sizing brass for his Martini .22 Ackley Hornet (similar to the "K") by only just 'touching' the shoulder after fire forming off a false shoulder, each time and they are seating in the chamber without any binding. They are shooting right at 3/4" for 5, at 100 meters with slightly lighter loads than that barrel preferred on the CZ.

Working the shoulder too much, will cause premature case head separations in the weak brass of the Hornet. The sharp shoulder of the "K" should resist case stretching (tightening in the chamber) considerably.

Last edited by Daryl; 11-13-2013 at 08:39 PM.