Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-27-2013, 02:24 AM

Default Remington 40XBR vs Cooper 21

If you had your choice for the same money which rifle would you buy and why? Looking for a rifle that is capable of 1/2 moa everytime out when the shooter does his part. I got spoiled with my Benchrest rifles several years back and now if a rifle isn't deadly accurate I am never happy. The trouble with the benchrest actions is it is very hard to find a varminter stock for one without spending more than I want to do. Remington stocks are plentiful and triggers are easy to change if desired. I have no experience with a Cooper except what I have seen in stores and some have very nice wood. Thanks for any suggestions. Tom
Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Supporting Member

Tom I've never owned a 40X but I know the Coopers are capable of 1/2" groups and better and I've seen a 40XBR in 223 used in a Benchrest match, it agged in the 3's.

I think either the Cooper of 40X would be capable of what you are looking for, and it would come back to personal preference and what is available.........Kiwi
Old 11-27-2013, 10:57 AM

Take an older 700, have Greg Tannel, Kevin Weaver, or any one of the competent builders here on Saubier, get a Pac-Nor, Lilja, Schilen or whatever custom barrel, a Jewel trigger, and you will have, more than likely and quarter inch rifle.....as I learned from Montdoug, do a zero freebore on it, and have the neck dimension no more than .002 larger than your loaded round. You will be very happy. 40x's are chambered to SAMMI specs which are pretty sloppy as they must tolerate any factory ammo that might be shoved into them....steve
Old 11-27-2013, 12:37 PM

I have a number of Coopers and 40XBR's. All shoot well. Choice probably depends on what one plans to do with the rifle. The 40XBR is significantly heavier than a Cooper. One may want to consider a third alternative. Buy a custom Rem. 700 clone from Kelbly, Stiller, etc. and have a top smith build what you want.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:10 PM

I have had 40X's and currently have a few Coopers. The 40X is heavy which does not permit for easy carrying like a Cooper. As noted, buy most anything and re-work it with barrel, chamber, trigger.... etc and you will most likely achieve your desired results but look at the expense incurred. I have settled on Cooper, get the trigger they way I want it, do careful load development and put high end glass on top. I shoot a lot of tiny groups and PD's and groundhogs have been dealt with at very long distances.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:41 PM

What Ken said....
Plus, it's a good time to buy an M21, what with the advent of the smaller-cal. Cooper repeaters (51, 54.) There seems to be a good selection of new and used 21 and 22s out there; most at decent prices, and no wait.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Supporting Member

Both are great rifles and I have 1 40X and numerous Coopers all of em shoot, and I like each and every one . One caveat on the Cooper is how soft the finish is, a few accidental rain drops will stain the wood and it takes little to nothing to dent it. If I got a Cooper and as much as I like pretty wood I'd probably get their synthetic.
As an add on one to what's already been said, Get a 40X "or" a Cooper and send it to Greg Tannel for some a his magic, it's groups'll really make ya giggle .

Old 11-27-2013, 05:16 PM

I think that these two rifles, the 40xbr and the cooper are two different animals. Kinda depends on your own requirements and pocketbook.

The 40xbr I believe was intended as a factory introduction rifle for the three classes of benchrest rifle matches. Pretty class specific with the short bench type stocks, 2oz triggers, and weight right up to the 10.5 and the 13.5 lbs. With that said, the stock and really total configuration is not much for carrying around. I am not sure that SAAMI pertains to the wildcat calibers, ie the 6x47, 30/338, etc. but with the right brass anything is feasible.

The Cooper is a semi custom type rifle, more conventional in configuration for carry etc. Premium barrel etc, makes for a nice rifle. Their sample targets do not really show their real capabilities.

Both rifles bought new are pretty costly for what they are. One has to admit after participating in benchrest matches that those rifles are on a different level.

The 40xbr is the same footprint as a 700 abeit the single shot action. I have never seen a 40xbr that was a repeater. I like the 40xbr myself, several rifles modded and unmodded on this action. So far my 40xbr actions passed the basic tests for squareness etc, so no machine work was done on them. My 40x's had to be touched. My factory 40xbr rifles basically unaltered except bedding were a 0.3" type rifle.

The Cooper is a lighter action than the 40xbr, but the 700 type action is the small block chevy of the gun world.

Quite a different in the two rifles as per from the factory, depends on what you want or want them to be.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:27 PM

Montdoug , I don't know about rain staining the Cooper Finish because I never got any of mine wet . I buy mine used , so they do have a few Stock Dings . What surprised me is that you don't have to Strip the Finish to raise the Dings with steam . Now that I think about it , I think you're right about the water effect . When I get around to it , I'm going to see if any of my Stock Finishes will blend in those slightly duller Spots around where the Ding was . If anyone has a recommendation on how to eliminate these Spots without stripping all of the Finish , I would appreciate hearing about it .
Old 11-27-2013, 07:16 PM

I have a 40XB repeater and a M21 Varminter, both in 223. As others have already said, the 40X is significantly heavier than the Cooper, but both shoot the same, typically in the low 3's. It may be my loading and/or shooting skills are limiting both. The finish on the 40X is definitely harder and glossier than the M21 Varminter. The Cooper stock is a much better fit and more comfortable to me.