Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-19-2017, 12:20 AM

Default VV N540-N133-Varget with 65 grain SGK

Folks ,
This is a small caliber question but an AR platform rifle !
I've go a can of N540 N133 & Varget .
I'm wondering if anyone has used any of the above powders with a Sierra 65 grain Game King bullet and what your results were ? Negative or positive.
The rifle is a 20" Krieger VARMATCH- 1 /7.7 twist -.223 Wylde chamber in an AR platform.
I want to stay with the 65 SGK , which is shorter and lighter than the 69s I punch paper with and shoot sub moa . I need the 65 for Coyote hunting .
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Semper Fi
Soup
Old 09-19-2017, 12:31 AM

Hey soup,

I can't help much but maybe a little. My Remington M24 milspec with 5r rifling and a 1-9 twist loves 65gr SGK's and Varget powder. It shoots way under 1/2 moa. Sorry I can't help you more.

Jim D---
SE Texas
Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 AM

Default VV B540-N133-varget with 65 grain SGK

Soup. Why ? If the 69 grain is shooting sub MOA, why worry about 4 grains less bullet weight, even if it is shorter ? Just endulge in and enjoy what you are having success with. The coyotes will not the difference in 4 grain of bullet weight. Bill K

Last edited by Bill K; 09-19-2017 at 01:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-2017, 12:55 AM

Just my opinion on something. The Berger 64gr match/varmint bullet is one of the finest I've ever shot from my AR's. It is one fine accurate bullet and preforms as well if not better on coyotes than the 65sgk. My Remington M24 I was speaking of shoots the Berger 64's even better than the 65SGK. The 60 Berger M/V are bad medicine also.

Jim D
SE Texas
Old 09-19-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Soup. Why ? If the 69 grain is shooting sub MOA, why worry about 4 grains less bullet weight, even if it is shorter ? Just endulge in and enjoy what you are having success with. The coyotes will not the difference in 4 grain of bullet weight. Bill K
Bill K
Thank you for prompt reply.
The Sierra Match King bullets are not designed for hunting and Sierra advises not to use them for hunting since they don't expand .
I strive to humanly hunt . I really wish I could use the 69s . It would make for a lot less trial and error .
Soup
Old 09-19-2017, 03:20 AM
Supporting Member

I use all those powders but not in the application you're asking about so I'm sure I'm not much help.
The N133 I use in the .17 MachIV and it's gonna be my second try powder on a new .222 I just picked up cause one of my loading manuals says their .222 really liked it. Good powder for what I use it for.
N540 I use in my .20 Dasher with a 1 in11 twist and it rocket ships 40 grain V-Max's into bug holes with a 4210FPS average velocity. Great powder in that application and I like it.
Varget has a broad range of uses for me: 7MM-08, .22-250 and others, great powder and one I'll always have on the shelf. I have a 6X47-Lapua with a 1 in 12 twist Kreiger and Varget is the powder of choice for the 65 grain V-Max's and various 70 grain 6MM varmint bullets I shoot in it. The 65 V-Max chrono's 3700-ish FPS without leaning on it at all and due to the rifles accuracy it's well under a 1/2 inch rifle. Some of that is gun-smithing, some of it is barrel and bullet liking each other but it wouldn't be happening without Varget pushing it all along in a consistently accurate fashion. Varget has a lotta uses and it's very temp stable. Permanent place at the table for Varget.
My .2 cents worth.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:50 AM

Montdoug: Can you clarify something for me, since it seems that you use Varget in several cartridges. I have heard that it is a decent powder, but can be touchy, like Lil gun with pressure spikes.
Would you say that is true or false ? Just curious, see and read a lot about Varget, but have never gave it a try in some of my rounds. Bill K
Old 09-19-2017, 05:22 AM
Supporting Member

I don't know enough about anything to make blanket statement like true or false what with all the various lots of Varget that have undoubtedly been produced. I am very comfortable saying that I have used Varget since it first arrived on the scene and that certainly hasn't been my experience with it but others mileage may well vary for all I know .
Old 09-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Thumbs up Varget

I've chronographed Varget a lot in of 6BR, 6 Dasher and now in 223 with heavy bullets, very predictable, one of the best all around powders made In my experience with it.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:17 PM

Thanks guys for that info on the Varget and your experience. Bill K