Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-07-2018, 02:38 AM

Default 17 squirrel ?

All of the searching that I've done about the squirrel advocates using 22 hornet brass to form the squirrel case. Has anyone used the same forming dies to form the squirrel case from 17 hornet brass. I checked with ch4d and they gave me a 15 month waiting time for 17 HH to 17 squirrel form dies but they stock 22 hornet to 17 squirrel. They said because of the sharper shoulder of the 17,they didn't know if the 22 H die would work. Since I have over a thousand rounds of 17HH brass I would like to use it but don't want to wait 15 months. Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks. Dan
Old 05-07-2018, 04:28 AM

Dan, When I make 17 Squirrel brass the first thing I do is chop the brass down to .990" with a bench top cutoff saw which basically removes all neck and shoulder whether it is 17 HH or 22 HH. I'm not sure how the CH4D form dies work but I am using Redding #1 and #2 form dies and have no problem getting either 17HH or 22HH into the #1 forming die for the first step. The diameter down the case toward the head on 17HH and 22HH are similar so the cut off 17HH should enter the CH4D form die to start the process. HTH

Cal
Old 05-08-2018, 02:41 AM
Supporting Member

I normally just start pushing the should back... but now I’m thinking it may be wiser to chop them down to size first and start from there.

I have no experience other than making 17 Squirrel brass using my homemade forming dies.

The one bit of advise it it seems like you can take larger steps the larger the diameter, but once you get to around .240ish then I have to take smaller bites.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:35 PM

Default 17 squirrel

Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear that it will work ok. This will help advance my 17 squirrel build a lot sooner.
Dan
Old 05-10-2018, 03:58 PM

When I was playing with shortening cases, I used a shortened .17Rem die as a forming tool, due to it's sloping shoulder angle. This made pushing shoulders back much easier.

I used it for pushing shoulders back on both .22 & .17(A) Hornet and .17AB to squirrel and Bumblebee length.

The same die could push .17 HH or .17AH or .22Hornet shoulders back to the correct location.

The .22 Horn. to .17squirrel dies might work, but there is the sharper shoulder to contend with.

If you have a .17 Rem FL die, that would be even better. Just cut it off at the right spot and have at it. You will have to adjust it for headspace on the Squirrel cases.(shoulder in the right place)

I usually look for a less expensive way of forming brass than buying very expensive form dies.

Some guys do the same, others need specialty dies. Whatever flaats your stick.