Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2021, 10:56 AM

Default 204 Build....More Questions

Now that I've found an action, and the bbl twist figured out, was considering threading the muzzle for a suppressor. Shouldn't cost much to get it threaded, but was wondering just how effective at noise reduction a suppressor would be? The sonic boom-crack will still be there, and I'm sure some of you have tried a 204 or equivalent with a suppressor. Is it worth it? Lots of $$$ and quite a hassle to get one also. Quieter would sure be nice.

Secondly, I need to find a suitable stock....I have some HS and McMillen varmint stocks on my CZ 17's and 700 Rem 17, just wondering about possibly trying a stock with and adjustable cheekpiece and LOP? Seems like the "chassis" type stocks are almost too high even with the cheek piece off to easily get a cleaning rod into?

Anyway, any input you guys might have will be very much appreciated! You all have been most helpful in figuring out my 17 Ackley Hornet back in 2009....thanks to Montdoug on that one, and thanks to the rest of you on helping me figure out this 204 build.
Steve
Old 05-01-2021, 12:36 PM

I have a 204R (Savage FV12) w/ 26" barrel, and had it threaded for my suppressor which is a Harvester 30 cal (for versatility). When I put the can on it, I usually get one or two questions about what I'm shooting, etc., because it's been called a "mouse fart" a couple times by other guys at the range. Super quite and recoil is about like a 22LR.

The 26" barrel & suppressor (maybe 5-6" long), it's a long setup for sure, but from a bench not an issue for me. I've also mounted the can on a 20P with a 24" barrel, and is about the same as the 204R. Both are a hoot to shoot, so it was all worth it.

I've got a radial brake as well that fits all my rifles, and I'm testing it out when I can. The brake reduces felt recoil to basically the same level as the suppressor but is louder, but not annoying to me. It may be to those on the next bench over, but it's not one to blow everyone's "stuff" off the next bench like some brakes do. A brake is cheap alternative to a suppressor IMO to reduce any felt recoil.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:05 PM

The 3 issues with running suppressed, barrel length and you never want to shoot without it after about 2 shots and they make AR run dirty.I also have a Harvester for hunting, I wouldn't use it for high volume shooting. I have a Sig 556 that is full auto rated, I will use it shooting prairie dogs. Even at 100 yards with 22-250 adult prairie dogs stay up and see others go mist. Single best way to start shooting multiple coyotes is suppressed fire. Sleepers pairs, first one gets headshot, the other usually only goes 50' and stops(22-250). I run 22" barrels on my 204r and 20p. 21 3/4" on my 22-250. I haven't threaded a 17(yet). I hear opinions both for and against being able to breakdown and clean suppressor. Sig and Harvester are welded, I wish one could be disassembled then I could use on rimfire. Everyone really likes shooting my 18" 223 carbine with the Harvester, feels and sounds like 10/22. I have a 26" 223 Savage m12, so 35"+ barrel suppressed. No issue off a bench. Point of impact shifts occur between no suppressor and suppressed. But most loads group better suppressed(at least for me this has been true).
Old 05-01-2021, 02:10 PM

Been shooting just about everything suppressed for well over ten years now and to be honest I couldn't imagine having to give any of them up. There's no way to avoid the sonic crack down range but for the most part it's pretty minimal and you really only even hear/notice it because the suppressor eliminated the vast majority of the muzzle blast. Suppressors do a very good job of reducing recoil. Maybe not quite as well as a good muzzle brake but muzzle brakes make guns louder so it's a trade off I'm gladly willing to make.

The only real downsides to a suppressor, it adds length to the gun and cost but once you start shooting suppressed you quickly forget about both.

As for the purchase process Silencer Central easily has the slickest setup of anyone I'm aware of. They sell the Banish line of suppressors which is a top rated can and they're able to deliver it right to your door you won't need to go through anyone else but them. If you want a centerfire can that you can use on anything from rimfire to 300 RUM I would get their Banish 30 it is a take apart design so if you use it on dirty rimfire stuff you can take it apart yourself and clean it. Give Brad at Silencer Central a call and he'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

I shoot my CZ 527 17 Hornets suppressed and the muzzle blast sounds about like a powerful pellet gun.

Last edited by B23; 05-01-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:17 PM

Just went to the Silencer Central website and sent them some inquiries....looks like the best way to go....thanks to all of you!

Now, about stocks......any thoughts on a "chassis" style or the conventional heavy varmint HS/McMillen style?

I'm going to be shooting a little off the bench for load development, but mostly out the window of my truck at the farm for various varmints.
Steve
Old 05-01-2021, 04:35 PM

I have many HS Prec stocks and a handful of McMillan stocks. All of my HS Prec. stocks have kydex adjustable cheekpiece installed on them. The kydex adj. cheekpiece is relatively inexpensive, easy to install, adds only a couple ounces of weight to the stock, and they work extremely well. For a cost affective setup that doesn't weigh a lot they're a very good option.

All my McM stocks except one have the integral adj. cheekpiece which is great but adds a fair amount of weight and cost to the stock. The one McM stock I have that doesn't have anything is their "Varmint" model and the comb height on that is just barely high enough it doesn't need anything extra.

From the sounds of it I'm not sure a chassis setup would really benefit you much.

I think the McM A-3 Sporter is a great stock that adapts well to a lot of different shooting styles.

Manners makes great stocks and has many that would suit you well.

For a more cost affective route you can usually find like new HS Prec take off stocks that people have for sale that they pulled off of their Remington Sendero or VSSF and you can usually get those in like new condition for around $300. I always have a couple sitting on the shelf waiting for a build or something.

One thing is for sure, when it comes to stocks there is no shortage of options, especially, if this is for a Rem 700 or Rem 700 clone build.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:10 PM

I have identical barreled 22-250's one HS precision stock, the other a chassis style stock. With same scope, I see my heartbeat with the chassis, reticle steady with the standard type stock. I recently replaced the Remington factory synthetic on a 3006, I didn't go chassis for this hunting rifle, I found a used HS.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:28 PM

Things are moving along, thanks to all of you.....my purchasing mentors! Pulled the trigger on a Banish 30 from Silencer Central and an HS Varmint stock with the palm swell, and the detachable magazine bottom metal today.....it will be a long time before the suppressor is in my hands, and it will be a bit before I get the action to Kevin Weaver to get going on it....but things are starting to happen....will keep you guys posted as things progress.

Trigger....that's next up....I have been using Jewell triggers (1.5oz to ?) for lots of years....is there anything any better our there currently?

Thanks again for helping me spend my $$$$!
Steve
Old 05-03-2021, 08:54 PM

IMO, nothing feels better than a Jewell trigger, BUT, they DO NOT like dirt and they won't take much abuse so if either of those are a concern I would not use a Jewell and instead would go with a Trigger Tech. I still have many Jewell's and they easily have the best feel of any trigger I've ever had but I'm more cautious with what I put them in too.

If it's a bench gun that'll be taken care of like it was one of you children a Jewell will be fine but if you're looking for something that'll still function if it gets a little dirty and is a bit more robust then I'd probably go with a Trigger Tech or Timney. I have a few Timney Calvin Elites and personally I never had any problems with them but my gunsmith did and switched over to Trigger Tech so my last few builds have TT's and they're a real nice trigger and I like how they feel better than the Timney CE trigger.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:33 PM

B23, well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it is how I see it....never had a bit of trouble with my Jewell triggers, so that's what I'm going to go with. I set mine at about 6 oz for crow shooting and I'm quite accustomed to using them at that setting. Now to get a bbl ordered! Any thoughts on who is currently making the best ones? Lilja, PacNor, or what....?
Thanks again for all your help!
Steve