Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-24-2022, 08:31 PM

Default Do you only buy neck bushing dies these days?

When buying dies, will you only consider neck bushing dies for small-caliber reloading? If so, are you dedicated to one particular brand? Just curious. I've always been a RCBS fan but seems like their dies are considered "utility grade" while Redding dies are considered "top shelf". I'm assuming you don't have to go for custom dies.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:38 PM

The majority of my dies at still RCBS, but do have a few Redding and Whidden. Most all my dies are also standard FL/seat two die sets.
I do have a few bushing dies, but they are of the type that I can size more than one style of cartridge in, by adjusting up or down and using the bushing needed, as long as it is the same cartridge base.
Hope that makes sense.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
The majority of my dies at still RCBS, but do have a few Redding and Whidden. Most all my dies are also standard FL/seat two die sets.
I do have a few bushing dies, but they are of the type that I can size more than one style of cartridge in, by adjusting up or down and using the bushing needed, as long as it is the same cartridge base.
Hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense.

For bullet seating, I've gone to RCBS competition seating dies. I like to insert my bullets from the top then seat. It's not advertised, but the die bodies are generic & can handle most calibers by just switching out the bullet cup & the case guide. Within the same bullet caliber, all you need is the guide. For instance, I use the same bullet cup for my .270 & my 6.8mm SPC. The die plugs & guides can be bought separately. By now I have enough dedicated seaters that rarely do I switch out plus/guides.
Hope that makes sense.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
Makes perfect sense.

For bullet seating, I've gone to RCBS competition seating dies. I like to insert my bullets from the top then seat. It's not advertised, but the die bodies are generic & can handle most calibers by just switching out the bullet cup & the case guide. Within the same bullet caliber, all you need is the guide. For instance, I use the same bullet cup for my .270 & my 6.8mm SPC. The die plugs & guides can be bought separately. By now I have enough dedicated seaters that rarely do I switch out plus/guides.
Hope that makes sense.
That is does, seems like we are on about the same plane as to dies and use of them. I believe most of the reloaders are also. I know a couple of my shooting buddies do just about the same.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:41 PM

I must be the outlier. I started out reloading for handguns only, so I load both pistol and rifle calibers on a Dillon 550B. I also have an old Herter's C-press for decrimp and NS only on rifle calibers. Dillon carbide dies for handgun calibers and mostly Hornady dies for rifles. I also put the Hornady Micrometer Stem attachments on most of the rifle dies. I do have a couple of RCBS dies and Redding FL and NS dies.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:31 PM

Not at all. I generally prefer Lee Collett dies, but have neck bushing dies too. The Redding Body Dies are something I also buy, if available.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:42 AM
Supporting Member

I started out reloading 270W and used Hornady dies, I soon got annoyed with the depriming stem slipping and sold them and bought a set of RCBS dies.

RCBS were marketed as top quality but I thought back then that Redding were also top quality, Forster were also good but didn't have the following or reputation.

I think I've still got about 10 or so sets, fl/seater, of RCBS dies and about as many of Redding which are mixed, some are standard fl/seater sets others are fl bushing dies with standard seaters and others are fl bushing dies with Redding competition seaters.
I've also got a few sets of Forster Benchrest dies and some of the seaters I've added the micrometer adjustment.

In some cases I ended up with other makes of dies due to finding a set in the caliber I wanted, 218 Mashburn Bee, 219 Don Wasp, 20 Duster etc and they seem to work as well as the RCBS, Redding and Forster.

I have a few threaded neck sizing dies, all are bushing dies.

Plus I have a number of Wilson neck sizing dies and seaters and use these quite often, especially at the range.

I think bushing dies are the best type of die for either neck sizing or full length sizing and have modified a few of my full length dies to accept neck bushings.
By using bushings I'm able to eliminate the neck expander which I think is the cause of a number of case and accuracy problems.

Competing in Benchrest has taught me a lot about setting full length sizing dies and also taught me you can attain exceptional accuracy when full length sizing.
Factory chambers are the cause of short case life......JMO.

In short I generally full length resize and prefer to use a bushing to size the neck and my preference for threaded dies are Redding and Forster.

Kiwi
Old 08-25-2022, 10:58 PM

Default Dies

I have both RCBS and Redding. All are full length. I consider them both to be very good dies. I do have one bushing die, Redding 20 VT.
I have lots of difficulty getting the right amount of case lube when using Redding dies, in 17, 20 and 22 cal cartridges. The cases get stuck in the die or I get dents in the case shoulder. I’ve tried several different lubes. Some of my Redding dies have been sold and replaced with RCBS for that reason.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
I have both RCBS and Redding. All are full length. I consider them both to be very good dies. I do have one bushing die, Redding 20 VT.
I have lots of difficulty getting the right amount of case lube when using Redding dies, in 17, 20 and 22 cal cartridges. The cases get stuck in the die or I get dents in the case shoulder. I’ve tried several different lubes. Some of my Redding dies have been sold and replaced with RCBS for that reason.
Interesting. This is the 1st I've heard of this. I've dented my share of shoulders over the years but it has never been a big problem. I don't load anything smaller than .222 either.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:57 PM

I have been buying L.E.Wilson fl bushing dies lately and I LOVE them. I always prefer the L.E. Wilson arbor press seaters.