Saubier.com  



Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-28-2022, 06:31 PM
Daryl Daryl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Prince George, B.C. Canada
Posts: 4,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
All I can say is that I have been very very lucky. I do not ever remember starting at a book minimum load (except when deviating from the book recipe, changing certain components). Many times I had no book to look at and just used what little bit I have to develop a load. Can’t express how lucky I’ve been.
With some Wildcats, I'm in the same boat. I stopped and reduced a load in a particular .375 Wildcat by 3 grs. even though there were no pressure signs at all - none, using a Mark 10 Mauser. I did that as the velocities I was getting with .270gr. TSX's were REALLY scary for it's 78gr. gross case capacity. Even 3 gr. under that high load, the vel. is still pretty high.
__________________
Daryl
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-28-2022, 09:28 PM
Oso Polaris Oso Polaris is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 454
Default

The TSX and other solid core bullets need a jump to avoid pressure spikes. Their solid construction doesn't deform/compress like a lead core bullet to match the bore. This may be some of what you are experiencing.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-29-2022, 07:01 PM
moorepower moorepower is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
All I can say is that I have been very very lucky. I do not ever remember starting at a book minimum load (except when deviating from the book recipe, changing certain components). Many times I had no book to look at and just used what little bit I have to develop a load. Canít express how lucky Iíve been.
I am guessing that you don't start a max load either? I usually start in the middle and work up from there.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-31-2022, 06:58 AM
johno johno is offline
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,111
Default

Just stumbled onto this post. In my carbine length CZ 527 ive gone over to CFE BLK. The load I settled on shows no pressure signs, very accurate, the load were chony'd

I settled on 30grn CFE BLK the average velocity was 2,540 fps from memory but when I find where I put the darn note book I will amend if necessary. This load was using 123 grn bullets then I tried 130grn Woodleighs shot same POI and again no pressure issues, of course this dows not mean its safe in another rifle

Johno
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-31-2022, 01:58 PM
Grey_Wolf Grey_Wolf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alberta
Posts: 98
Default

I got into reloading over 20 years ago. Not for myself but for my father. He had bought reloading gear at a garage sale but was too scared to do it himself. So instead he decided to offer up his first born son for the dangerous task ..... I had no clue what I was doing. didn't know a darned thing about it or the safety protocols - you know, things like starting low and working up. He gave me a recipe that his neighbour used and said load this. So I did. He did not have his gun blow up but we sure did dodge one there. What if the neighbour was shooting a max load?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-31-2022, 03:26 PM
Bill K Bill K is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: N.E. Commie Kalifornia
Posts: 6,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
I got into reloading over 20 years ago. Not for myself but for my father. He had bought reloading gear at a garage sale but was too scared to do it himself. So instead he decided to offer up his first born son for the dangerous task ..... I had no clue what I was doing. didn't know a darned thing about it or the safety protocols - you know, things like starting low and working up. He gave me a recipe that his neighbour used and said load this. So I did. He did not have his gun blow up but we sure did dodge one there. What if the neighbour was shooting a max load?
Why in the world would you start out this way ? When you could have bought a reloading book/manual, read it and followed the information and instructions on what and how to reload ammunition.

I often wonder, by so many comments with this thread and others, if anyone even looks at a reloading book or just asks for a load and loads it up in their own rifle, disregarding common sense and the ability to do it correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-01-2022, 05:05 AM
Grey_Wolf Grey_Wolf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alberta
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Why in the world would you start out this way ? When you could have bought a reloading book/manual, read it and followed the information and instructions on what and how to reload ammunition.

I often wonder, by so many comments with this thread and others, if anyone even looks at a reloading book or just asks for a load and loads it up in their own rifle, disregarding common sense and the ability to do it correctly.
Well I'll guarantee I didn't want to. The old man wanted his loads, he had the recipe he wanted to use and I built them. Thinking that a little more info would help since then I have read several manuals and had a mentor. But the old man needed those bullets now cause it was hunting season lol. I am well aware (now) of all that could have gone wrong and would caution anyone thinking of getting into reloading to read a book or two, might even loan one out
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-01-2022, 06:32 AM
foxhunter foxhunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: new mexico
Posts: 3,321
Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default

I often wonder, by so many comments with this thread and others, if anyone even looks at a reloading book or just asks for a load and loads it up in their own rifle, disregarding common sense and the ability to do it correctly.[/quote]

the thread was a cautionary tale. do you have any idea how many people don't know not to mix brands of brass or primers? or how many don't know you have to trim your brass so you don't pinch the mouth of the case on the bullet and blow everything up?
ok, i'll get off my soap box.
__________________
I post here because it keeps the riffraff away.
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in
a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, Holy sh!t... What a Ride!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.